+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada by Border with expired PR Card

minchul1999

Oct 31, 2018
hi everyone!

My wife is a PR while im not. We both currently live in her home country now. She has been a PR for about 10 years. Since then she has been in and out of the country.

The last time she was in canada was when we gave birth to our first child on 2015. After that we left canda to visit my family at my home country then went back to her home country after that.

My wife apllied for her PR card renewal and the IRCC received her application on March 2016. Though my wife couldnt fufill her RO. She tried to renew her card anyway as the reason for not being able to fulfill her RO was due to her father passing and she had to accompany her mother back home also she was accompanying our daughter who is a canadian citiZen. She attached a letter explaining this together with her application and we mailed it to IRCC.

She applied for travel document and got rejected as she didnt fulfill her RO. But then after few month we got an email from IRCC from Vancoucer saying that they found the Canadian Embassy at her home country determined that she had not completed her RO. She said she has no informatuon suggesting she applied for an appeal in the appeals division. Then she said under the current circumstances my wife is eligible for a PR card with a validity of a year and she is to wait for an email for her appintment. This was on May 2017.

We then applied for an appeal at the appeals division and we got an appointment for a court hearing via phone. The bad part is we missed all the calls and thought this was done and my wifes PR card application is long gone.

To our surprise she got an email from IRCC for a PR Card appointment on March 2018. By this time my wife was pregnant and wasnt fit for travel due to bed rest order given by her doctor.

We waited for the 2nd notice and it arrived on September but she couldnt travel since she gave birth 3 days before the appointment date.

Then to our surprise a 3rd email arrived for another appointment and we do intend to get her card this time. Since it was so last minute we could not apply for her travel document and since she got already rejected before so we didnt bother. We just got a ticket to seattle then we will rent a car to drive thru the Border to Vancouver. We are flying out in 2 days.

Given the circumstance do you guys think we will have a hard time passing thru the border? Or woule we get grilled by the POE officer?

When my wife will pick up her PR card would She have problems with the IRCC given that we have been out of the country for more than 3 years now?

Would appreciate you feedback!

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi everyone!

My wife is a PR while im not. We both currently live in her home country now. She has been a PR for about 10 years. Since then she has been in and out of the country.

The last time she was in canada was when we gave birth to our first child on 2015. After that we left canda to visit my family at my home country then went back to her home country after that.

My wife apllied for her PR card renewal and the IRCC received her application on March 2016. Though my wife couldnt fufill her RO. She tried to renew her card anyway as the reason for not being able to fulfill her RO was due to her father passing and she had to accompany her mother back home also she was accompanying our daughter who is a canadian citiZen. She attached a letter explaining this together with her application and we mailed it to IRCC.

She applied for travel document and got rejected as she didnt fulfill her RO. But then after few month we got an email from IRCC from Vancoucer saying that they found the Canadian Embassy at her home country determined that she had not completed her RO. She said she has no informatuon suggesting she applied for an appeal in the appeals division. Then she said under the current circumstances my wife is eligible for a PR card with a validity of a year and she is to wait for an email for her appintment. This was on May 2017.

We then applied for an appeal at the appeals division and we got an appointment for a court hearing via phone. The bad part is we missed all the calls and thought this was done and my wifes PR card application is long gone.

To our surprise she got an email from IRCC for a PR Card appointment on March 2018. By this time my wife was pregnant and wasnt fit for travel due to bed rest order given by her doctor.

We waited for the 2nd notice and it arrived on September but she couldnt travel since she gave birth 3 days before the appointment date.

Then to our surprise a 3rd email arrived for another appointment and we do intend to get her card this time. Since it was so last minute we could not apply for her travel document and since she got already rejected before so we didnt bother. We just got a ticket to seattle then we will rent a car to drive thru the Border to Vancouver. We are flying out in 2 days.

Given the circumstance do you guys think we will have a hard time passing thru the border? Or woule we get grilled by the POE officer?

When my wife will pick up her PR card would She have problems with the IRCC given that we have been out of the country for more than 3 years now?

Would appreciate you feedback!

Thank you!
What happens at the border will be completely dependent on what your wife's actual status is at that point in time.

Is she 1) now a "Foreign National", 2) a PR under appeal for inadmissibility or 3) a successful appellant PR.

There are so many issues in your narrative that it's hard to tell.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have a TRV or come from a visa-exempt country? What about your 2nd child? This story makes me crazy. I can't imagine you could win an appeal given all these issue. If your wife only came to Canada for a short time to give birth she shouldn't have qualified for healthcare as well.

melrose37

Mar 17, 2018
I have similar experience, I have used a very good lawyer and have been successful in appealing. You should contact a good lawyer if you really want it.