+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

traveling to canada after paper work sent

massacarrara

Oct 23, 2007
Im an American citizen, husband is Canadian citizen. After I've sent in my paper work, is it a major offense to visit my husband in Canada for a few weeks?

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Absolutely you can visit your husband for a few weeks, a lot of applicants have done that and for different lengths of time.

I think from previous posts you are most like to be flying in alone to visit him? Then the only thing to be cautious about is giving your reason for entering Canada - I would advise that you don't say "visiting my husband", much better to say visiting friends - this is true without giving the immigration officer (IO) cause for concern.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
I disagree with the previous response...I am in the same situation, (I am American citizen married to Canadian) and I think honesty is the best policy...

I just visited my husband in Calgary and I explained the situation to the customs agent, that I am visiting my husband and he is sponsoring me for permanent residence and I still reside in the U.S. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the truth!! You are more likely to get tripped up if you say you are visiting "friends." In my experience with Canadian officials, it is much more to your benefit telling the truth, even if you have to take a little bit more time to explain your situation.

massacarrara

Oct 23, 2007
I agree. Plus when I enter anyways they will see on my immigration card that I am married and surely ask about that. How long have you been in Canada while waiting for your PR card

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Hi there-

I am living in Chicago...my husband is in Calgary. We met and married in the U.S. and are moving to Calgary to settle. He started a job there October 1. We are just getting ready to send all the paperwork to Mississauga and then it's a waiting game...

Are you in Canada? I thought about me moving up there with my husband and applying from within Canada but it takes so much longer, plus I have full time work here in Chicago and I would be miserable not working! We also have a house down here we are trying to sell and the market is bad right now.

Anyway, you can't ever go wrong telling the truth with custom officials. I am not sure why people are concerned about saying you are visiting your husband...maybe they had a bad experience? Just tell the truth...they are probably very good at spotting liars anyway!!

massacarrara

Oct 23, 2007
Hopefully you'll be together soon! Wishing the best for you.

I am in Seattle Washington. I actually met my husband online and then went to Toronto to meet him and visited him several times. I fell in love with Toronto-- love the city vibe. It is much easier for me to immigrate there, than him here, because we are both ethnically Iranian, the US freaks out about this. Even though I was born in the USA, he was born in Iran and I talked to a few US Immigration ppl and this would cause a huge delay. Ridiculous, he's been a Canadian citizen since the age of 2 ! Darn USA Immigration policy!

Chicago is a cool place, you're lucky and blessed with a nice subway!

Don't apply within! Takes way too long. Outside is much faster! Plus you can do all your things more quickly, like the fingerprints and the background check stuff. None the less, I think it is ridiculous how long it takes just for American and Canadian citizens who are married to live with one another.

I don't think I could ever lie to the customs officials. They kind of scare the crap out of me. Plus I don't really know anyone else in Toronto... so who would I say I'm staying with ? :-(

What are you thinking of doing in terms of work in Canada?

Best of luck! :D

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
Gdaymate didn't say to lie. If you read the last sentence of his post, he suggests saying you are visiting friends, because this is TRUE, without giving IO cause for concern. The only reason for this is because several people have had horrible experiences crossing the border in this situation. It depends on the IO, but they want to make sure that you're visiting your husband/wife, and not going to Canada to stay. It's fine to tell the whole story and explain everything, but be prepared to have some sort of proof that you are returning to the US after your visit. For example, a letter from work or an appointment in the US that you have etc.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks PRS, I was just about to say that I never, ever suggested anyone should lie to customs officials. I've read many postings of people being turned back at the border and just wanted to save anyone the possibility of such an incidence. And yes, these were US citizens visiting their spouses.

As PRS says, if you are prepared for all eventualities then by all means, explain your situation to the IO.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
IT helps if you take with you proof of your ties in the US. i go visit my husband in oshawa and i take with me doctor apts in US and a note from my boss saying when i have to return to work. anything tieing you to the US and showing you have to come home will be helpful. I always drive so not sure if it's any harder for flying but showing your return ticket home ive heard is a plus.

massacarrara

Oct 23, 2007
Everyone please give me your opinion here.

If I go in December to visit my husband. And I show them documents stating when my University begins again after break, my work obligation letter... AND my return date and ticket...... Does anyone here think I will have problems?

I really do not feel like being misleading to the officials by saying "Friend" and not "husband". If they question me perhaps all hopes of my PR status will be revoked. Another thing is, I'm almost sure they ask where your husband resides....

Any advice/input is appreciated.

Best to you all.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
Don't lie or mislead, you are right it puts your whole PR status at risk, all those things will be helpful and it does depend on the indivual I/O, one might say sure go ahead while the very next one will say heck no nad seeing the same documents presented to the first one.

each one is different, only way to know is to do it.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
I never stated that gdaymate was making a suggestion to lie to the custom agents! Let's use this forum as a helpful place and not take things personally!

I was however, stating my opinion that I feel it is misleading to say you are visiting "friends." Maybe other people would be comfortable with saying that, and that is fine. But I would not be comfortable with that.

I honestly have never heard any horror stories about not being let in to Canada. I would not understand why that would happen. I didn't have a letter from work or anything and I got in just fine. Why would visiting your spouse cause concern??

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I've read some posts on a different forum where people coming from the US into Canada to visit spouses were treated horribly by IOs. In one situation a wife was visiting her husband for their wedding reception in Canada and she was stuck at the border for nearly two hours trying to convince the IO that they were just visiting Canada and would be returning home after. This is not the only post I've read like this. We are trying to be very helpful by warning people in a similiar situation to be prepared for this. I've never had an issue telling them I was visiting my husband either, but I'm prepared to show proof that I'm returning to the US, just in case.
Thanks you for your insight and help as well as anyone else's on this forum. It is a great resource for myself since I know the CIC website can be confusing at times.