+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada after a gap of 3 years after getting my PR Card

rajeshrkld

Dec 25, 2019
Hi!
Can anyone please help me out!!!!!.I am a permanent resident of Canada(i got my PR card in june 2017). Unfortunately,I had to travel back to my home country (India) immediately due to family problems.
I am planning to go back to Canada in January 2020. Will that be a problem..I mean its been 3 years since I am outside Canada.Will i need to show any other documents?
Anybody please advice me.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi!
Can anyone please help me out!!!!!.I am a permanent resident of Canada(i got my PR card in june 2017). Unfortunately,I had to travel back to my home country (India) immediately due to family problems.
I am planning to go back to Canada in January 2020. Will that be a problem..I mean its been 3 years since I am outside Canada.Will i need to show any other documents?
Anybody please advice me.
Date of PR card is NOT relevant.

If you landed and became a PR in April, May, or June of 2017, you are still in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation and there should be NO problems about your status if you return to Canada in January 2020. Of course you need a passport and valid PR card to make the trip.

Depending on the date you actually landed and became a PR, it appears you may be cutting-it-close. The closer you get to the third year anniversary of the date of landing, before returning to Canada, the less flexibility you will have for the next two years.