Traveling outside Canada for the first time after the PR

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hello there,
I have a question for people who already landed as PR and later on traveled outside Canada for vacation for the first time. I did some research on the Canada border site and discovered this document:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

What I am concerned for are my Electronics (Video cam, digital cam, cell phone and IPod ) and my jewelry (average amount 4000$) that I am planning to take. I am suppose to go to a CSBA office, fill a form with the officer there for my electronics and do all this hassle for the jewelry (appraisal, certificated photos and certificate) ?? do they really check on these stuff on my way back to Canada, and if I don't have that form signed with all these appraisal, I am suppose to pay tax, or I won't be able to prove that these stuff are mine and that I bought them in Canada...
Hope I get a reply soon, I am traveling next week back home.

ritosgirl

Star Member
Oct 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-30-09
AOR Received.
24-02-10
File Transfer...
28-01-10 (New York)
Med's Done....
21-10-09
Passport Req..
09-03-2010
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2010
hi rorita_76!
you asked this question at a perfect time... i am chatting with my sister who is a former border officer. she said that because you are a permanent resident you are now treated like any other canadian citizen by the customs officers at the border. you left canada with your stuff, and now you are returning into canada. at the border they just want to know if there is anything new... they usually aren't too worried about your belongings otherwise. i recently went to bermuda for three weeks... and went to buffalo to fly out. when i can back to canada... and went over the border they weren't worried at all with my belongings, just if there was anything new. just make sure you are honest... and declare anything new. :)

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Thank you for quick reply. For sure I will be honest and if I have something new, I will declare it..but how they will know that I am telling the truth by saying this video camera or this pendant are old and that I bought them from Canada?
When I landed, I made a very detailed list of goods accompagning, took pictures of my jewerly and wrote the estimated prices on them (we don't have appraisal people in Lebanon..:) ), but the custom officer didn't even look at my list, this is why I am hesitating to do appraisal for the jewerly that I bought in Canada, it cost a lot of money and take time and I am traveling next Friday.
Do you think I will be ok without the appraisal and all the rest? I can manage to go to a CSBA office and put stickers on the electronic and fill the form (it is free I guess)..

ritosgirl

Star Member
Oct 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-30-09
AOR Received.
24-02-10
File Transfer...
28-01-10 (New York)
Med's Done....
21-10-09
Passport Req..
09-03-2010
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2010
i really think that you will be fine. if you are really worried about the electronics you can go and fill out the paperwork, it is free. i have travelled through the states and back into canada many times... they are usually more worried about alcohol, tobacco, and anything else you need to declare.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I agree with Ritosgirl, but if you want to play it safe, I have heard of people composing a list of items with serial numbers, and asking the border officer to stamp the list. Have the items ready to check against the list, which might be a hassle if there are too many items.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
One more thing. For the jewelry, which doesn't have serial numbers, take a photo of each piece and ask the border officer to stamp it as a true likeness.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hope it won't be a hassle, what I am going to do , is I will go to the CSBA near my house and tell them what excatly I am taking with me and if I need to fill any form or anything, since all my electronic are worth 500$ not more.
Thank you for your replies, I will return and share what answers I get for other to know.