+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling on PR cards with error on Nationality

SamanCh

Feb 23, 2024
We recieved our PR cards within 2 weeks of eCOPR. My husband and I are naturalized citizen of a country (home country- HM) other than our country of birth (COB). Our 3 kids are born nationals of the HC hence their Nationality and COB is same.
The PR cards of 2 kids are correct but the 3 kid, our daughter has error in the card. They put the Nationality same as us parents' COB.
Similarly, my husband's and mine COB is correct but Nationality is erroneously written same as our COB.
My question is that if we can travel abroad on these PR cards and re enter Canada? My husband and I do have our old expired passports of our COB but my daughter only has the origin card of that country.
We need to travel to our COB to see my ailing mother and correction and reissuance of PR cards take 2+ months. Kindly advise.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We recieved our PR cards within 2 weeks of eCOPR. My husband and I are naturalized citizen of a country (home country- HM) other than our country of birth (COB). Our 3 kids are born nationals of the HC hence their Nationality and COB is same.
The PR cards of 2 kids are correct but the 3 kid, our daughter has error in the card. They put the Nationality same as us parents' COB.
Similarly, my husband's and mine COB is correct but Nationality is erroneously written same as our COB.
My question is that if we can travel abroad on these PR cards and re enter Canada? My husband and I do have our old expired passports of our COB but my daughter only has the origin card of that country.
We need to travel to our COB to see my ailing mother and correction and reissuance of PR cards take 2+ months. Kindly advise.
Canada will let you in on the basis of the PR cards - the nationality reference in the PR card is not used for those purposes. (I believe it is mostly there for identification purposes and if you have the expired passports of your COB you should be fine). Peopel here have supported changing nationality after becoming PRs with no issues.

One small wrinkle: I cannot guarantee that airline staff will understand this. Mind, I'd say the risk of having some difficulty is pretty low (given that you have the supporting ID), and they should be able to confirm it, etc. I think the likelihood of issue is lower for airlines that have direct flights to Canada and/or partnerships with the major international airlines servicing Canada (eg the big European airlines). Possibly higher risk of issues if leaving from smaller secondary airports/airlines. YMMV.

Reactions: SamanCh