+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling in and out of Canada

chrijans

Nov 30, 2016
Hello,

A few months back my spouse sponsored me in the family class program. We received temporary approval and have been approved for a work permit and now have all the paperwork. However, I have not received my fully approved PR card just yet.

I recently received the email below:

"Our records show that you may be a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This email is a reminder that you must present your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada.

Canadian permanent residents who do not present a valid PR card or PRTD may be denied boarding their flight to Canada for not having the appropriate travel documents"

Will I still be okay to travel with only the paper documents I have? I am starting to get worried.....

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Can't tell if you are a PR yet or not - did you receive your COPR and did you "land" as a PR yet? Are you only waiting for the PR card?

Unfortunately, traveling before you receive your PR card is problematic - you can leave, no problem, it's just coming back that is the problem. You won't be allowed to board a flight to Canada without the PR card, or in lieu of the PR card, you can apply for the PRTD (depending on where you go, it can take a long time to process).

If you're out of the country and someone is here in Canada to receive the mail, they can of course courier your PR card to you.

Finally - the exception to the rule is if you're only driving to the USA. Then you can re-enter with your COPR. (Using commercial transportation is the problem).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is a blanket email that PR applicants, as well as those with PR, are receiving. It seems to be a reminder for those that have not yet received their PR Card (or those that have lost/expired cards) that an eTA is required for commercial travel to Canada.

When you say that you have `temporary approval', are you referring to AIP (Approval in Principle)?

If so, you are cautioned not to leave Canada. If you do and are refused re-entry, your application will be in jeopardy.

The OWP even states that it does NOT authorize re-entry, right?

chrijans

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks for the information and the help. Here are a bit more details:

-I am an inland family class sponsor and received Temporary Resident Status pending PR approval. I received this about 6 months ago and will likely have many more to go before PR goes through.
-I now have an open work permit that will expire in May 2018
-The open work permit states this does not authorize re-entry but I have used it before to travel in and out of the country. I know this may pose a risk but I can't go that long without seeing my family.
-I purchased an eTA for myself the other day and have been approved

Is there anything else I should be doing here before my flight leaves in two weeks?.... :-X

Thanks you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chrijans said:
Thanks for the information and the help. Here are a bit more details:

-I am an inland family class sponsor and received Temporary Resident Status pending PR approval. I received this about 6 months ago and will likely have many more to go before PR goes through.
-I now have an open work permit that will expire in May 2018
-The open work permit states this does not authorize re-entry but I have used it before to travel in and out of the country. I know this may pose a risk but I can't go that long without seeing my family.
-I purchased an eTA for myself the other day and have been approved

Is there anything else I should be doing here before my flight leaves in two weeks?.... :-X

Thanks you!
I think you mean to say that you have AIP (Approval in Principle), not TRS. If so, could have a final decision any day now (hopefully).

And...it appears that you are aware of the risk of leaving Canada. Hopefully you're not going to be gone more than a week or two.

Good luck!

chrijans

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks for the quick response. Correct I did mean AIP. I will be gone for about three weeks, so hopefully that does not pose way to big of a risk.

Other then the eTA I should be okay then? (that is if they let me back in)

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chrijans said:
Thanks for the quick response. Correct I did mean AIP. I will be gone for about three weeks, so hopefully that does not pose way to big of a risk.

Other then the eTA I should be okay then? (that is if they let me back in)

Thanks
Well, an Inland applicant is required to continue to `live' in Canada, with their sponsor, so...is your sponsor at least accompanying you on the trip?

Three weeks is probably pushing it, but it's really impossible to know for sure. CIC only says that `short trips' apart are ok, but...they don't define what the maximum duration of that visit should be.