+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling before getting your PR card

CAnderson

Jan 20, 2018
Hello, I am new on this forum and just became a permanent resident of Canada yesterday! (Yay!) I really need some guidance as my father is very sick and I need to go home and make sure he is okay. At the Etobicoke office yesterday I explained this to my interviewer and she said I could use my Confirmation of Permanent Residency paper if I drive through the land boarder to Canada. I said great, but being paranoid as I am I like to make sure I see it in writing before I start booking my plane ticket home. (Flying to Ohio, driving back to Canda, just to clarify) BUT I cannot find anywhere on CIC where it says that I can return in a private vehicle and use my CoPR to confirm that I am a PR. It makes me especially nervous because the paper says NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL. Could anyone give me advice or information to help me? Thank you so much

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
What you have been told is 100% accurate. You can use the CoPR + passport to cross the US-CA border. Many many people have done the exact same approach in the past and no one has had any issues. The list in that link is not exclusive. You can see that in the used language (can, may, etc.). Good Luck!

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi there everyone

I didn't want to start a new topic so I thought I'll ask here.

I received my CoPR and everything (through a courier) and was wondering what's the last stage when it comes to MyCIC account statuses. My application switched to "Approved" and the Final decision line says - "Your application was approved...".
Is that it? are there going to be any other changes in MyCIC

Thanks