+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling back to Canada with expired US passport but valid PR card

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
Hi! Long time since posted. I became permanent resident in 2018 and move with my husband to Vancouver Island and bought a strata. Last year my mom was diagnosed terminal so I flew back to states to be with her during her final months. Now I’m about to return to our home in Canada but my US passport has expired and with the Covid crisis will take 8-12 weeks to get updated one. My husband I just found out has been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor so I NEED to get back ASAP.

I’ve been told in a Facebook group that all I need is my PR card at the land border (I’m renting a car and driving back) since I need a valid passport to fly. if this is true then I’ll renew my us passport from there by mail. I have all kinds of documentation (birth certificate, marriage Certificate SS card, drivers license (both Canadian and US and most important of all my PR card.

can anyone foresee a problem crossing by land border?? Thanks I’m advance for the advice!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’ve been told in a Facebook group that all I need is my PR card at the land border (I’m renting a car and driving back) since I need a valid passport to fly.
can anyone foresee a problem crossing by land border?? Thanks I’m advance for the advice!
That should be sufficient at land border but it would be best to check with CBSA if you can.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi! Long time since posted. I became permanent resident in 2018 and move with my husband to Vancouver Island and bought a strata. Last year my mom was diagnosed terminal so I flew back to states to be with her during her final months. Now I’m about to return to our home in Canada but my US passport has expired and with the Covid crisis will take 8-12 weeks to get updated one. My husband I just found out has been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor so I NEED to get back ASAP.

I’ve been told in a Facebook group that all I need is my PR card at the land border (I’m renting a car and driving back) since I need a valid passport to fly. if this is true then I’ll renew my us passport from there by mail. I have all kinds of documentation (birth certificate, marriage Certificate SS card, drivers license (both Canadian and US and most important of all my PR card.

I was never asked to show my passport at the land border, PR card was always enough.

Reactions: armoured