+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling as a protected person but got PR through spousal sponsorship.

Lorena2021

Sep 4, 2020
Hello everyone!
I am looking answers to my current situation.
I arrived to Canada in 2018 as an asylum seeker, later in 2020 I got married to my Canadian husband and applied also for an inland sponsorship.
in March 2022 I had to assist to my refugee audience, in which I was granted refugee status and then in September 2022 I received my PR through my spousal sponsorship.
So because I thought I got my PR card through sponsorship, I got a new home country passport and in 2023 I went on vacation to Mexico with my family for 7 days.
When I came back, the immigration office asked me what was my status before becoming PR. Which I was confused but I answered: I was a refugee clamaint .
he said , no, you are a protected person.
and I freaked out! My first thought was , oh shit!! I am travelling with my home country passport.
and the official told me, it’s okay, as long as you don’t travel to your home country and every time you come here, we will have to ask to make sure you didn’t go there.
After that , I have a lot of doubts.
Should I apply for a document travel?
or should I continue using my home country passport??

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone!
I arrived to Canada in 2018 as an asylum seeker, later in 2020 I got married to my Canadian husband and applied also for an inland sponsorship.
in March 2022 I had to assist to my refugee audience, in which I was granted refugee status and then in September 2022 I received my PR through my spousal sponsorship.
So because I thought I got my PR card through sponsorship, I got a new home country passport and in 2023 I went on vacation to Mexico with my family for 7 days.
When I came back, the immigration office asked me what was my status before becoming PR. Which I was confused but I answered: I was a refugee clamaint .
and I freaked out! My first thought was , oh shit!! I am travelling with my home country passport.
and the official told me, it’s okay, as long as you don’t travel to your home country and every time you come here, we will have to ask to make sure you didn’t go there.
You are still Convential Refugee though you are permanent resident through family sponsorship. imo you should use travel document...

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone!
You will be considered a protected person until you get Canadian citizenship so need to be travelling using an RTD until you get a Canadian passport. If you want to keep your status in Canada you should stop using your home country passport, do not apply for a new home country passport and do not visit your home country until you are a Canadian citizen. Don’t use your home country passport ever again. CBSA agents are very knowledgeable about immigration rules so this person may not been aware that you also can’t use your home country passport.