+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling abroad - how to sponsor a common-law?

japage

May 21, 2007
I have been traveling in Africa for the last year and a half (practice teaching - no salary) and met an African man while there. We have been living together, sharing expenses, bank account, etc. for just about 1 year 3 months. We are in the process of putting the immigration application package together for him to come to canada as my common-law partner.

I am a Canadian Citizen (born and raised in Canada), and I am still a permanent resident of Canada because I'm considered as just traveling abroad (as stated on my Option C Printout). On the immigration website it states that if you are traveling abroad you are not considered as residing exclusively outside of Canada. (understood)

But, because we have been living together outside of Canada (and I am still here), what do I put down for the question:
"Do you currently reside outside of Canada?" Am I technically residing out of Canada or not?

Also, do I have to return to Canada before he does? We were thinking of flying back to Canada together, but I don't know if that is allowed.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

japage said:
I have been traveling in Africa for the last year and a half (practice teaching - no salary) and met an African man while there. We have been living together, sharing expenses, bank account, etc. for just about 1 year 3 months. We are in the process of putting the immigration application package together for him to come to canada as my common-law partner.

I am a Canadian Citizen (born and raised in Canada), and I am still a permanent resident of Canada because I'm considered as just traveling abroad (as stated on my Option C Printout). On the immigration website it states that if you are traveling abroad you are not considered as residing exclusively outside of Canada. (understood)

But, because we have been living together outside of Canada (and I am still here), what do I put down for the question:
"Do you currently reside outside of Canada?" Am I technically residing out of Canada or not?

Also, do I have to return to Canada before he does? We were thinking of flying back to Canada together, but I don't know if that is allowed.

Thanks!
1. As a Canadian citizen, you can submit a sponsored spousal application from abroad. You have to include with the sponsorship to Mississauga a statement outlining what your intentions are as to housing/employment/schooling once your spouse is issued a visa and you return to Canada.
2. You are confusing Immigration residing outside Canada and Taxation, as for Immigration you are residing outside Canada.
3. If you spouse is issued a COPR then you could travel together, but it makes no difference if you return first.
4. I suggest you check the processing times at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html to get an idea how the long the process will take. It will also take an additional 35 days at Mississauga for the approval/refusal of the sponsorship.