+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel without PR card

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

My husband applied for PR in March and in May, he received his CoPR. We went to flagpole in Niagara last week.

We are so happy, except the fact that he can't re-enter Canada unless he has his PR card, which he should be receiving within two months. My husband is a researcher and needs to go to a laboratory in the US in a couple of weeks. I am pretty sure he will not be getting his PR card by then.

If I had known, I would have waited after all of his lined-up trips to the US, but I didn't know, and now, I am lost as to what he should do. He already booked his ticket, so I don't want to change it. But he does have the option to fly to Buffalo and I can go pick him up by car.

Help?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
as a US citizen, he doesn't need his PR card to travel to and from canada. He is visa exempt. If he is flying, he presents his passport at the airport to get on the plane, and the passport + COPR at immigration once in canada. If you're driving, all he needs is his COPR and passport. I have driven cross border multiple times without my pr card and had 0 issue. Really for us citizens (and other visa exempt PRs), the PR card isn't essential. The passport + COPR together will be accepted anywhere a PR card is needed. When it comes to flying, the PR card is more for the airlines to show proof someone has the authority to travel to canada. This is specific to those who need a visa to travel to canada. IF you're that worried about it at the airport, take the COPR out of the passport, and just present it at immigration. Only a passport is needed for US citizens flying to canada.

no need to worry... you're all good.

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend had a simlar situation like yours (also visa exempt), and like the person said above he only needed his COPR and passport to be able to travel without any problem. :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do NOT show the COPR to the airline (or any other commercial carrier), because they will likely refuse travel.

Present the U.S. passport and travel as a `visitor', when dealing with the carrier. Present yourself as a PR when you encounter CBSA. They will know that you are a PR, even without the PR Card.

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
My husband is not a US citizen, but he is South Korean, and I think you can enter Canada without a visa on a South Korean visa.

So should I tell him to not show the CoPR and enter just show passport when leaving US?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lovelywhite7 said:
My husband is not a US citizen, but he is South Korean, and I think you can enter Canada without a visa on a South Korean visa.

So should I tell him to not show the CoPR and enter just show passport when leaving US?
If he is visa exempt, yes, take the copr out of the passport, keep it safe and just show the passport to the airline to get on the plane. At immigration in canada, he can show his passport and COPR to get in.

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
lovelywhite7 said:

There's no need to show the CoPR. The airlines just want to know if the traveler is legally authorized to enter the country. If not, the airline will be on the hook for returning the passenger to their country of origin, and may have to pay a fine to the receiving country.

If he has a passport from a country that doesn't need a visa to enter Canada (such as South Korea), they'll definitely let him on the plane.

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend needed to show his COPR at the canada boarder to re-enter canada as PR, and he is from a visa exempt country (Belgium). Luckily he had it with him to be sure (because of mixed advice), but didn't show it first and almost got rejected him because he came to Canada too often/staying for long. He then told them he recieved PR a few weeks ago but the card didn't came in yet, and they didn't believed that he had PR. Then showed his COPR and they finally started to listen.

So long story short, altho I heard of people doing it without, take that COPR with you to be sure (hide it & only use it to re-enter canada at the boarder of canada), better safe than sorry.

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
But won't they ask what he was doing in the US and what the reasons are for going to Canada? We've visited many countries together, and each time, we had to show them his student visa.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lovelywhite7 said:
But won't they ask what he was doing in the US and what the reasons are for going to Canada? We've visited many countries together, and each time, we had to show them his student visa.
Entering on a student visa is very different than a PR returning home after a vacation. You are basing your fears on entering countries where neither of you had permanent status. He's a landed PR. He has every right to enter canada just like a canadian citizen is. He's not going to be asked what his reason for entering canada is. They are going to say "welcome home". When you as a canadian citizen cross the Canadian border, do they question you as to why you are trying to enter? Probably not...

If they ask him what the purpose of his visit to the US is, he tells the truth. He was on vacation. They may ask how long he's been there. If so, he answers truthfully. there's nothing to worry about. it is not illegal for a canadian pr to visit the us and come home.

A COPR and Passport is all a visa exempt PR needs to return to canada.

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
lovelywhite7 said:
You seem a bit confused.

When you leave the US to fly to Canada you won't be going through any immigration at the US airport. The airline staff may ask/need to see your travel documents to allow you on the plane. You just show them the S.Korean passport (don't show them the CoPR). Since SK does not need a visa to enter Canada, the airline will let him board. The airline staff doesn't ask your reasons for travel.

When you arrive in Canada and go to Canada customs/immigration, then you show them his passport AND CoPR. They can see he is a PR and must let him in. Of course they might ask standard questions about where you were, why you were in US or whatever, but just tell the truth obviously (visiting, etc.). They won't ask why he is coming to Canada because he is a PR, it's where you two live/will live.

That's it. Hope that helps.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
sawadee-eh said:
You seem a bit confused.

When you leave the US to fly to Canada you won't be going through any immigration at the US airport. The airline staff may ask/need to see your travel documents to allow you on the plane. You just show them the S.Korean passport (don't show them the CoPR). Since SK does not need a visa to enter Canada, the airline will let him board. The airline staff doesn't ask your reasons for travel.

When you arrive in Canada and go to Canada customs/immigration, then you show them his passport AND CoPR. They can see he is a PR and must let him in. Of course they might ask standard questions about where you were, why you were in US or whatever, but just tell the truth obviously (visiting, etc.). They won't ask why he is coming to Canada because he is a PR, it's where you two live/will live.

That's it. Hope that helps.

I am Canadian and they asked me why I was coming into Canada....so don't kid yourself, they will ask you what ever they want...My brother, a Canadian was asked for his Canadian Tire card, "cause all Canadians have a Canadian Tire card".

mega_option101

Feb 5, 2016
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
Nomination.....
CSQ: 22-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-06-2016
The airline asked my wife why she was coming to Canada as well. They even flipped through her passport pages to look for stamps and visas.

I wish it was as simple as showing them a visa-exempt passport.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mega_option101 said:
The airline asked my wife why she was coming to Canada as well. They even flipped through her passport pages to look for stamps and visas.

I wish it was as simple as showing them a visa-exempt passport.
and what happened? was your wife able to board the plane? with a visa exempt passport, all you have to say is you are visiting. keep it simple, don't elaborate, and there shouldn't be an issue.

mega_option101

Feb 5, 2016
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
Nomination.....
CSQ: 22-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
and what happened? was your wife able to board the plane? with a visa exempt passport, all you have to say is you are visiting. keep it simple, don't elaborate, and there shouldn't be an issue.
Yes she was able to board (thus was before the new eTA law came into effect though - thought that I should clarify this).