+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel without PR Card - Entry from USA

johnnysinn

Jul 31, 2016
Hi,

I will be going on vacation to the US for a duration of 9 days, in about 4 weeks.

I currently do not have my PR card as I just realized that I have lost it.

A PR card renewal online says it can take 92 days - 6 months, and so I know I will not receive it prior to my travelling.

Also, I looked at getting a PRTD but 9 days will not be enough time to apply for one once I am in the US.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do while I am still in Canada in order to allow my re-entry to the country once I am back from vacation.

If not, would it be possible to re-enter the country with my passport + confirmation of PR letter + Ontario issued Health Card + Proof of Student Enrollment?

Please let me know as soon as possible, as I will be travelling soon!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
johnnysinn said:
Hi,

I will be going on vacation to the US for a duration of 9 days, in about 4 weeks.

I currently do not have my PR card as I just realized that I have lost it.

A PR card renewal online says it can take 92 days - 6 months, and so I know I will not receive it prior to my travelling.

Also, I looked at getting a PRTD but 9 days will not be enough time to apply for one once I am in the US.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do while I am still in Canada in order to allow my re-entry to the country once I am back from vacation.

If not, would it be possible to re-enter the country with my passport + confirmation of PR letter + Ontario issued Health Card + Proof of Student Enrollment?

Please let me know as soon as possible, as I will be travelling soon!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Re-entry into Canada should be NO problem with passport + CoPR. Once a PR makes it to a Canadian PoE, the PR is entitled to enter Canada. Passport plus CoPR should easily suffice to establish identity and PR status.

Any problems returning to Canada would be about means of travel, since there are more strict requirements for boarding a commercial carrier destined for Canada. (Specific Travel Documents required to board a Train or plane, for example).

Questions about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation are also a separate matter, and would not affect entry itself. But some PRs who do not present a PR card at the PoE may face questions about compliance, and reporting if officer concludes the PR is not in compliance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ttrajan said:
You may need PRTD to enter Canada.
No you don't need PRTD to enter Canada.

You only may need PRTD to board a plane to Canada.

johnnysinn

Jul 31, 2016
Hi. I will be flying to the US and back to Canada, so will that cause any issues?

I know some airlines require PR card to fly back to Canada, but there must be some sort of flexibility with it if I have proof?

What would be my best plan of action? Should I call the airline beforehand? I'll be flying with American Airlines.

I do have a visa-exempt passport, Austria, however online it says I need an eTA to fly to Canada without a PR card.

Would it be possible for me to just do the eTA as a backup plan, or am I not able to do that as a PR?

Thanks in advance.