+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel while Post Graduation Work Permit is in process

emmaqiao

Jul 25, 2011
Hi all,

I am an international student who graduated from my undergraduate institution in early June. My current study permit will expire on 31st July 2011, and I applied for a Study Permit Bridge Extension as well as Post Graduation Work Permit in the middle of June.

My problem is that I plan to travel outside of Canada sometime in middle August and my Study Permit Extension/PGWP may not have been processed by then. I am hoping to ask a Canadian friend to receive my legal documents when they are ready and mail it to my overseas address. And then perhaps I can apply for a visa outside of of Canada. Is there anything inappropriate/illegal with this plan? What is the best thing that I can do (if I have to leave Canada for a while in middle August)? Thanks!

emmaqiao

Jul 25, 2011
I mean, is it that we just cannot travel while things like Study Permit Extension or PGWP is in process??

Habil

Feb 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you can travel and still have all your documents processed however your case is different.Look at the validity of your study permit before you travel out.

I would advice you hold your horses for a while and get your documents processed,have them in your hand and then good to wherever yo want to go.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

To re-enter Canada, you must have;

1. Valid study permit.
2. TRV (as applicable to selected nationals)
3. Passport

SupStar

Dec 1, 2011
Hello,

Thank you so much for the replies.

My situation background is like this. My study permit will end Dec 30 ,11, my final exams will finish Dec 21. Four out of my 5 teachers will post the grades/marks right away( on Dec 21) but one of my teacher cannot and will not do it right away. All she says is "we'll see" ( I was like yeh, if I got a job offer and this school is not in good faith by intentionally making me miss out my job opportunity, I'm gonna sue the school) And the school department will close in Dec 23-Jan3rd. Without all grades , they can't give me a letter saying I complete the program. Which from Dec 21-Dec 30 I have 9 days minus X'mas holidays = 4 days to get that letter to apply PGWP online asap. I called Service Canada earlier like last month asking if I can apply PGWP since my study permit is getting so close to expire. And they said I can apply online as long as I have everything ( letter from school, valid study permit even though it is a few days left, passport pages stamps, etc.)

2 days ago, I called Service Canada again regarding this new latest update of my situation, the lady told me to apply for a Bridge extension study permit and she sent me info about it. But I forgot to ask her whether if I can apply PGWP online after Dec 30 while the bridge extension study permit is processing as soon as I get the letter from school ? or I have to wait for the bridge extension study permit to arrive first? Also, I will have to travel outside of Canada soon , and with bridge extension study permit, can i apply for a TRV outside of Canada?

Can anyone put yourself in my shoes and enlighten me please?

Thank you thank you to the max!!!
SupStar

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SupStar said:
Hello,

My situation background is like this. My study permit will end Dec 30 ,11, my final exams will finish Dec 21. Four out of my 5 teachers will post the grades/marks right away( on Dec 21) but one of my teacher cannot and will not do it right away. All she says is "we'll see" ( I was like yeh, if I got a job offer and this school is not in good faith by intentionally making me miss out my job opportunity, I'm gonna sue the school) And the school department will close in Dec 23-Jan3rd. Without all grades , they can't give me a letter saying I complete the program. Which from Dec 21-Dec 30 I have 9 days minus X'mas holidays = 4 days to get that letter to apply PGWP online asap. I called Service Canada earlier like last month asking if I can apply PGWP since my study permit is getting so close to expire. And they said I can apply online as long as I have everything ( letter from school, valid study permit even though it is a few days left, passport pages stamps, etc.)

2 days ago, I called Service Canada again regarding this new latest update of my situation, the lady told me to apply for a Bridge extension study permit and she sent me info about it. But I forgot to ask her whether if I can apply PGWP online after Dec 30 while the bridge extension study permit is processing as soon as I get the letter from school ? or I have to wait for the bridge extension study permit to arrive first? Also, I will have to travel outside of Canada soon , and with bridge extension study permit, can i apply for a TRV outside of Canada?
Hi,

1. You must apply for a renewal of study permit
before 30th December. In case of expired study permit, you must leave Canada. (Exception is there to opt for 'restoration of status', but the process/decision making is complicated)

2. You need a valid study permit at the time of applying for a PGWP. Since your study permit is going to end by December 30th so you have two options;

:either, you get a FULL transcript and apply for a PGWP before 30th December.

:eek:r, get a bridge extension study permit and apply for a PGWP.

3. Yes, you can apply for TRV outside of Canada. At the time of applying for a TRV, you need a valid study permit and transcripts (it's not a rule to submit transcript, but I have noticed such a requirement in many cases). You may get into a lengthy process if you apply for a study permit outside of Canada, so it would be better if you leave Canada with a valid study permit in hand. Still there is a condition, you must apply for a PGWP within 90 days of receiving FULL transcript.

SupStar

Dec 1, 2011
Dear enfield,

Thank you so much for your response. If I already applied for a bridge extension study permit but it is still in a processing period, can I apply for a PGWP online?

SupStar

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SupStar said:
Dear enfield,

Thank you so much for your response. If I already applied for a bridge extension study permit but it is still in a processing period, can I apply for a PGWP online?

SupStar
Hi,

1. Yes, you can apply. In fact, application process for a 'Bridge Extension' and a 'PGWP' are both part of one process, and you do not need to apply separately for both process. Your application for PGWP covers the need of 'Bridge Extension' as well. However,you MUST apply for it before the expiry of your study permit.

2. By rules, graduates can apply for 'bridge extension study permit' that will allow them to apply for a PGWP within 90 days of graduation notification/transcript. The Case Processing Centep, Vegreville can issue ONLY a '1 time bridge Study Permit extension' to applicants whose intent is to seek employment.

In short, under a bridge extension study permit, you ONLY get a Study Permit being extended up to a maximum of 90 days from your graduation JUST to protect your eligibility for PGWP. For example, if your study permit expires 50 days after graduation, you will get an extension of 40 days under 'bridge extensison study permit'.

vchevu

May 15, 2012
SupStar said:
Hello,

Can anyone put yourself in my shoes and enlighten me please?

Thank you thank you to the max!!!
SupStar
What happened in your situation?...Did every thing go well??..I am stuck in the same situation

Elm

Aug 24, 2012
Hi there,

I had the same situation. CIC agent told me that while my papers are in process I can work, which means I can work under implied status. If I leave Canada(even to USA) I will loose my implies status.

So, if you are working under implied status during that time u must not leave the country.
If you are not working and if you have valid documents (visa+study permit+letter from school) you should be fine to come to country.