+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel to usa with valid work permit

momo2017

Dec 1, 2017
Hi ,
I renewed my work permit and it is now valid, i am living in Canada, but my last work permit visa is expired, now, I want to travel to the USA, is it okay to go back to Canada with only valid work permit by plane without a visa?

Thanks

mo82

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
The link says correct. Its for TRV not work permit. Your Work Permit is not a travel authorization document.

mo82

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
On the WP it clearly says, this document does not authorize re entry into Canada, what does that means? and for which country that applies to?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The link says correct. Its for TRV not work permit. Your Work Permit is not a travel authorization document.
On the WP it clearly says, this document does not authorize re entry into Canada, what does that means? and for which country that applies to?
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. OP has a valid work permit and an expired TRV; as clearly stated in the link I provided, OP can travel to the US and return to Canada with those documents.

All permits state that and it simply means that no temporary resident, regardless of the permit they hold, has the right to enter Canada; CBSA can refuse entry to any worker, student or visitor. Only Canadian citizens and PRs have the right of entry to Canada.

momo2017

Dec 1, 2017
okay guys thank you, I went to the USA and came back to Canada without any issue, however at each airline check-in desk you have to show your work permit document, I took two connections flight inside the USA to go back to canada , first check-in took like two hours waiting because the system can't issue the boarding pass because there is no visa and the system can't override(skip) this step so the airline customer called canadian goverment to verify and other agencies and then he use another account(supervisor)on the airline system to able to issue the boarding pass for me .
Thanks
next time i will go with visa to skip all these airlines headache :)

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,
If I don't have USA visa and canada visa expired, only have vaild work permit in canada. I want to go to border and re-enter in canada. Is it possible? will they allow me to re-enter?