+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US after oath **

kodiaksa

Feb 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is my understanding
1) As soon as you take the oath and receive your certificate of Canadian citizenship you will be accepted into Canada at a port of entry regardless of whether you have a passport or not, you just need to be able to prove that you are in fact a citizen. (The certificate will likely suffice) -- however, you will also need to have some sort of valid identification to prove it is in fact your name on the certificate.
2) It is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed onto a commercial vehicle (Plane, bus etc) of any kind without a valid Canadian Passport. But you would be able to drive.
3) In order to enter another country, USA in this case, you would have to have a valid passport and if required a visa. If you come from a country that does NOT allow dual citizenship (and I believe India is one) then your passport immediately becomes invalid as soon as you accept Canadian Citizenship. I would think, that when the official updates your information in the CIC system it would propagate internationally (I cannot be certain of this, but I think it's a reasonable assumption). You would then not be able to travel into the USA as your original passport would become invalid.
4) If you hold dual citizenship, then you would be allowed entry into the USA on your original countries passport, and you would be allowed to reenter Canada with the certificate; again, IF you could get to a port of entry.

fourkey2001

Star Member
Jan 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-12-2013
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
March 17 2013
IELTS Request
submitted
Med's Request
Dec 2, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
Thanks every one for their kind replies.

This is what happened. I took the oath yesterday (Wednesday) and asked the clerk over there about my status. He said to wait till Thursday morning before I apply for my CDN Passport. He said if I am traveling by road, I can use my Citizenship Certfic. and Indian Ppt. I think thats not allowed anyways...

I went to the Passport office Wed evening with my guarantor and they had my name in the system!! So I will get my passport this afternoon. They called my references the next hour between 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm yesterday

So its all good now!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fourkey2001 said:

This is what happened. I took the oath yesterday (Wednesday) and asked the clerk over there about my status. He said to wait till Thursday morning before I apply for my CDN Passport. He said if I am traveling by road, I can use my Citizenship Certfic. and Indian Ppt. I think thats not allowed anyways...

I went to the Passport office Wed evening with my guarantor and they had my name in the system!! So I will get my passport this afternoon. They called my references the next hour between 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm yesterday

So its all good now!
Congrats on becoming a citizen and glad it worked out. Safe journey.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
fourkey2001 said:

So its all good now!

That is amazing! Congratulations! Glad that everything worked well for you!

sanusiremi

Oct 2, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
JUNE 7 2011
AOR Received.
25TH OCT 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
12-12-11
Med's Done....
19/12/11
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
15/02/2012
VISA ISSUED...
20/02/2012
LANDED..........
03/03/2012
Can you please confirm your processing office? I am looking forward to this speed from the Calgary office.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fourkey2001 said:
I know this has been discussed a lot here, but I am seeking more of a input from folks.

My oath ceremony is this Wednesday and I have plans to travel to the USA for a meeting Friday. I have a hotel booked and rental car all booked. I am an Indian Citizen and have US Visa. Given my oath is Wednesday, I will be trying to to secure Canadian passport on a rush / emergency basis for Wednesday day, or Thursday day or Friday morning is also fine. My meeting is in the evening.

I was wondering what my options are... if I am unsuccessful in getting the passport, can I travel on my Indian Passport with my I94 already existing and US visa. What happens on return to Canada? Can I enter with my PR, or that is taken? or can I enter with my citizenship certificate?

Many thanks for all the input
http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng

"Entry into Canada from the USA

Though the preferred travel document for all travellers is a passport, please note that Canadian citizens may enter Canada by personal motor vehicle with proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate) plus a valid government-issued photo ID (ex. state or provincial driver's license)."