AOR Received.
March 17 2013
IELTS Request
submitted
Med's Request
Dec 2, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
I know this has been discussed a lot here, but I am seeking more of a input from folks.

My oath ceremony is this Wednesday and I have plans to travel to the USA for a meeting Friday. I have a hotel booked and rental car all booked. I am an Indian Citizen and have US Visa. Given my oath is Wednesday, I will be trying to to secure Canadian passport on a rush / emergency basis for Wednesday day, or Thursday day or Friday morning is also fine. My meeting is in the evening.

I was wondering what my options are... if I am unsuccessful in getting the passport, can I travel on my Indian Passport with my I94 already existing and US visa. What happens on return to Canada? Can I enter with my PR, or that is taken? or can I enter with my citizenship certificate?

Many thanks for all the input

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
You will not be able to re-enter Canada, since your PR card will be retained at the Oath occasion.

Check this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/travel-after-oath-t380099.0.html

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
I mean... unless you have a Canadian visa in your indian passport.

AsianIndian

Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My suggestion to you is this: talk to your ceremony's clerk right after the ceremony. I believe he/she is the one entering the info about new Candadians into the system. Talk to him/her and have them enter your info that very day (on Wednesday). Make yourself some sort of a priority, explain your case. That way, when you go to Passport Canada on Thursday they will be able to find you in the system. Apply for Urgent Processing on Thursday morning (first thing in the morning) and you can have your passport ready in the afternoon. You'll have to pay extra money (extra $110 or so) and you'll have to list 4 references + 1 guarantor (as opposed to 2 references + 1 guarantor for regular processing). Make sure all of your references and guarantor are in Canada (ideally same time zone as you) and can be reached by phone all that day. Because Passport Canada might call them, and if they are not available to take the call it might delay your processing a little bit.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a ceremony on Thursday, and the clerk at the ceremony told us to apply for a passport the very next day,
since all the data will be entered into the system the same day (it was rather small ceremony and early in the morning).
I actually waited longer, and applied for the passport today (Monday). And they still didn't have me in the system.

So to the OP:
You would probably save yourself a LOT of hassle and potential legal issues if you could simply change your plans...

I might be wrong, but don't you lose your Indian citizenship the moment you get a different one?
If that's the case and you still travel using your Indian passport,
you will be doing so using invalid travel document - which is most likely very illegal...

jhjeppe

Star Member
Jun 29, 2011
The Pas, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 August 2009
Doc's Request.
31 January 2010
AOR Received.
14 June 2010
Med's Request
5 October 2010
Med's Done....
12 October 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
5 October 2011
LANDED..........
20 May 2012
It takes 7-10 business days for you to get into the system, regardless of what anyone is telling you. They actually recommend waiting 2 weeks before you apply because of this very issue.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhjeppe said:
It takes 7-10 business days for you to get into the system, regardless of what anyone is telling you. They actually recommend waiting 2 weeks before you apply because of this very issue.
Not necessairily try service Canada centre instead of shoppers and those Canada Post outlet.

IRO

May 14, 2015
Why don't you try and find out how quickly you can get a Canadian visa..... If it is possible to get the Canadian visa within a day, then go for your Oath, get the Canadian visa on your valid passport, go to US with your US visa and come back to Canada with your Canadian visa. You can then apply for your Canadian passport when you get back or even before you leave. It's a greasy situation bud, but there's always a solution....... Look into the Canadian visa option today, to see where you stand..

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
jhjeppe said:
This seems to vary from Local office to Local office. For Scarborough they say wait 2 Business days before applying.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Would it not be possible to ask to have the PR card for the sake of the trip?

You could take the oath and become a citizen.

They could hold on to the citizenship certificate until you return from the trip and turn in your PR card. Since it takes
2 days- 2 weeks for the system to know that you are a citizen you could be back from the trip.
You would have to pay a small penalty when you actually surrender your Indian passport, but not a big deal...

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cprak0 said:
Would it not be possible to ask to have the PR card for the sake of the trip?
No, a Canadian citizen can't have or use a PR card. It's either-or.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhjeppe said:
It takes 7-10 business days for you to get into the system, regardless of what anyone is telling you.
But he should listen instead to a random guy on the Internet. Nice ;)

jhjeppe said:
They actually recommend waiting 2 weeks before you apply because of this very issue.
Who is "they"?
On the CIC webpage it says "2 business days".
At the passport office they told me "3 business days".

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi. Try to get passport before you leave will be idle situation other option you cross the
border by road and than you will re enter Canada by road with your citizenship certificate
this is the option but check with border security , first take the oath on Wednesday and
relax and later afternoon start searching all option....

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fourkey2001 said:
I know this has been discussed a lot here, but I am seeking more of a input from folks.

My oath ceremony is this Wednesday and I have plans to travel to the USA for a meeting Friday. I have a hotel booked and rental car all booked. I am an Indian Citizen and have US Visa. Given my oath is Wednesday, I will be trying to to secure Canadian passport on a rush / emergency basis for Wednesday day, or Thursday day or Friday morning is also fine. My meeting is in the evening.

I was wondering what my options are... if I am unsuccessful in getting the passport, can I travel on my Indian Passport with my I94 already existing and US visa. What happens on return to Canada? Can I enter with my PR, or that is taken? or can I enter with my citizenship certificate?

Many thanks for all the input
After your Oath you are no longer Indian citizen. Your passport is not a valid travel document.if you use it there is a fine of $325 or something for every travel. If you want to apply for emergency passport wait for until after ceremony. If you ask them before they will ask you to postpone your trip or the ceremony. I would even suggest wait for 1 or 2 hours until after your ceremony and then ask the clerk. I asked the clerk immediately after my ceremony and she asked if I want to return my certificate and make that trip and comeback. So you have to tread lightly on the request if you want your citizenship as well. If you don't have Canadian passport then you can travel with Indian passport but have to pay the penalty when you surrender or apply OCI. For emergency passport please arrange 2 additional references apart from the regular. Also ask your guarantor and references to be available for phone references. All the best