+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Mexico with expired pr card

Damb

Mar 16, 2013
My wife and I are going to Mexico next week and we just found out that her card has expired. I'm a canadian citizen and she is polish with a valid passport. She did realize that the card expired since she has only use it once when she first got it. She has live in Canada ever since she arrive here in 1997, so she has meet all the pr obligations. I know we can go get a TD from the canadian consult in Mexico City but we are going to cancun so it not that easy. My question is we are traveling with west jet and do you think they will let her back on plane in Mexico back to Canada with out a TD. I'm not too concerned with customs in Canada because we are going to bring lot of back to confirm she has been living in canada( letter of employment, bank statement, t4 and marriage cert). What are the chances that they won't let he on the plane.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Does she need a visa in her passport to enter Canada or is she visa-exempt?

Damb

Mar 16, 2013
That's the thing Polish citizen that hold an e-passport don't need a visa, but her's is an older one ( not e-passport). She doesn't need a visa to Mexico. I wondering if the airline would know about the e-passport or not

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think they would know the difference. There is a very obvious marker on the front of an e-passport. If she needs a visa then she will need a TD I suspect.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Impossible to say. It would depend on the care that the Mexican airline and security take. Is it worth the risk? What is the worst that could happen? Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Damb

Mar 16, 2013
We are going to chance it with out a TD. Basically if she needs a TD, we need to go to Mexico city either way so we may as well give it a shot and if it does't work we'll fly to Mexico City than to Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Please let us know how it works out for you...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keep in mind that getting a TD can sometimes take several weeks depending on the embassy so you or at least she could be stuck in Mexico for a while.

Damb

Mar 16, 2013
So we are back with very little issues. So we to to check in at the airport in cancun with westjet and my wife give the lady her passport and she ask for her or card and she start entering her info. When she says "do you have your newer card". My wife pays stupid and says what, she replies this card is expired, so then she ask a coworker I'd polish citizen needs a visa to entre Canada. The other gril replie only if she has a micro chip passport. So at this point I thought we were heading to Mexico City. The other girl (her supervisor) says let me check with my supervisor. She give the passport and pr card to another guy who goes to another room. Then the the girl asks if she has any other docs and we bombarde her this everything under the sun. She call her supervisor via phone and tell them all the info we have. With in a minute she says ok you are good to go. I gave her $20 for a thank you and checked in.

Upon entry to Canada the we tell the boarder agent that we just notice that it expire when we were checking at the airport and he said "no problem you actually do need it to enter canada we can look you up with your name". He just advised her to get it ASAP because it takes along to to come in.

acabo

May 2, 2019
I am heading to Cancun with an expired PR but with a Mexican visa in my valid Caribbean passport.
What are the chances of being allowed to board back to Canada? I do have the older passport with my migrant visa for proof as well as my landed papers, its just that I did not check the expiry on the pR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am heading to Cancun with an expired PR but with a Mexican visa in my valid Caribbean passport.
What are the chances of being allowed to board back to Canada? I do have the older passport with my migrant visa for proof as well as my landed papers, its just that I did not check the expiry on the pR
Your question was already addressed in your other thread. Please post any further questions there. You won't be able to board an airplane to Canada with an expired PR card. You need a PRTD.