+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to India on Indian Passport after Grace Period has passed

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Hi there,

I kind of in a weird situation where I applied for my Canadian Passport late and the 3 month grace period has passed. I now need to travel to India urgently and don't have time to apply for OCI.

As the Visa for Canadians is closed, my question is can I still travel to India on my Indian Passport and pay the penalty of Rs.10,000 and surrender my Indian Passport in India?

Will I get arrested if I travel to India on Indian Passport after getting my Canadian Passport? How will this affect my future OCI application?

Please help me with my situation.

Thank you

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi there,

I kind of in a weird situation where I applied for my Canadian Passport late and the 3 month grace period has passed. I now need to travel to India urgently and don't have time to apply for OCI.

As the Visa for Canadians is closed, my question is can I still travel to India on my Indian Passport and pay the penalty of Rs.10,000 and surrender my Indian Passport in India?

Will I get arrested if I travel to India on Indian Passport after getting my Canadian Passport? How will this affect my future OCI application?

Thank you
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10626141
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10625986
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/did-any-one-who-became-canadian-citizen-in-last-two-months-travel-to-india-recently-using-indian-passport-no-e-visa-oci.823840/post-10625984
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10626136

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

Thank you
In other words, you won't get arrested if you don't get your Canadian passport. Then withdrawal your passport application and return to India on your Indian passport.

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
In other words, you won't get arrested if you don't get your Canadian passport. Then withdrawal your passport application and return to India on your Indian passport.
I don't think withdrawing passport application is now possible. Most I can do is travel without Canadian Passport to India but then I would be stuck there without any Passport.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think withdrawing passport application is now possible. Most I can do is travel without Canadian Passport to India but then I would be stuck there without any Passport.
Unless you can go to a third country (on your Indian passport) after leaving India.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Unless you can go to a third country (on your Indian passport) after leaving India.
Why are giving such suggestion which is illegal and might get the OP arrested.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/nepal-woman-caught-trying-to-fly-with-aadhaar-booked/articleshow/103850203.cms?from=mdr

"If Indian nationals take up citizenship of another country, they need to give up their Indian citizenship," said an officer.
The woman was booked for hiding the fact that she was a Nepali citizen and duping the immigration authority to travel from Mumbai to Kathmandu by air.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi there,

Thank you
Do you think with everything going on between the two countries that only penalty of RS10,000 will come in to play ?
Urgency or no Urgency this could get much worse.
e.g. it could be (no one can say for sure) Every time you travel to India after this, you might get flagged by Indian immigration for your previous records.

Reactions: forw.jane

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are giving such suggestion which is illegal and might get the OP arrested.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/nepal-woman-caught-trying-to-fly-with-aadhaar-booked/articleshow/103850203.cms?from=mdr

"If Indian nationals take up citizenship of another country, they need to give up their Indian citizenship," said an officer.
The woman was booked for hiding the fact that she was a Nepali citizen and duping the immigration authority to travel from Mumbai to Kathmandu by air.
Going to a third country is illegal and will get arrested? During covid, I read many Indians traveled to Maldives and somehow got flight to Canada.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Going to a third country is illegal and will get arrested? During covid, I read many Indians traveled to Maldives and somehow got flight to Canada.
I think what they meant is going to a third country using Indian passport when the 3 months grace period for surrendering after acquiring a foreign nationality has passed is illegal.

Reactions: forw.jane

Bharghavi

Oct 13, 2023
Hey, I'm in a similar predicament. My CA passport is expected next week. Given the current scenario, I don't have a way to get my visa or OCI (I'm traveling December and OCI won't come through by then). I want to understand if I can enter India using IN passport, surrender my passport there and get an Exit Permit to come back into Canada with CA passport.

Do you have any luck with this? Did you travel? Help a girl out! I NEED to travel in December!

TIA.

Hi there,

Thank you

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey, I'm in a similar predicament. My CA passport is expected next week. Given the current scenario, I don't have a way to get my visa or OCI (I'm traveling December and OCI won't come through by then). I want to understand if I can enter India using IN passport, surrender my passport there and get an Exit Permit to come back into Canada with CA passport.

Do you have any luck with this? Did you travel? Help a girl out! I NEED to travel in December!

TIA.
@nivaan5 travelled to India and will be sharing further updates.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-visa-services-being-offered-to-canadian-citizens-who-are-already-in-india.823782/#post-10635257

bhargav218

Dec 4, 2019
Has anyone tried travelling from Canada to India on Indian passport and then exiting India to USA using the Indian passport too.

This way, you enter and exit India on Indian passport.

You can then use Canadian passport to cross from USA to Canada?

Are there any concerns with this if done within the 90 day grace window?