+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada from US by car- US Green Card

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Hello All, greetings.

My wife and I currently live in USA on green card status, and we plan to travel to Canada to visit for 3/4 days via car drive.

Request your help on below query:

1. I had Canadian PR up until 2015 and after that I moved to the US. My PR is no longer valid obviously. My question is do I need to withdraw the PR/inform Canadian agency before making the roadtrip.

2. For my wife, we applied for Canadian PR under FSW in 2015 and was rejected on the grounds of misrepresentation , and she was inadmissible for 5 years (till Dec 2020). Can she now travel to Canada on US green card? Also, do we need to inform the Canadian agency of this, or is there any way we can check before the travel? Can this cause any problems for us?

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All, greetings.

My wife and I currently live in USA on green card status, and we plan to travel to Canada to visit for 3/4 days via car drive.

1. I had Canadian PR up until 2015 and after that I moved to the US. My PR is no longer valid obviously. My question is do I need to withdraw the PR/inform Canadian agency before making the roadtrip.

2. For my wife, we applied for Canadian PR under FSW in 2015 and was rejected on the grounds of misrepresentation , and she was inadmissible for 5 years (till Dec 2020). Can she now travel to Canada on US green card? Also, do we need to inform the Canadian agency of this, or is there any way we can check before the travel? Can this cause any problems for us?

Thank you.
1. Your PR is still valid. It's your PR card that is no longer valid. Two different things. You will be allowed into Canada. You don't need to renounce PR in advance. However it's possible you may be reported for by CBSA failing to meet the residency requirement which would trigger the formal process to revoke your PR status.
2. She is no longer inadmissible but what happens at the border is always up to CBSA. If she is asked any questions related to this or whether she has ever been refused a visa, she needs to be honest with her answer.

jillperkins

Jul 28, 2023
Hello All, greetings.

2. For my wife, we applied for Canadian PR under FSW in 2015 and was rejected on the grounds of misrepresentation , and she was inadmissible for rooftop snipers 5 years (till Dec 2020). Can she now travel to Canada on US green card? Also, do we need to inform the Canadian agency of this, or is there any way we can check before the travel? Can this cause any problems for us?

Thank you.
Regarding your own situation: If you no longer have valid permanent resident status in Canada, you do not need to withdraw your PR before making a short visit to Canada. However, you may want to consider applying for a visitor visa to enter Canada as a tourist. You can visit the website of the Government of Canada to learn more about the requirements for applying for a visitor visa.

Regarding your wife's situation: If your wife's Canadian PR application was rejected on the grounds of misrepresentation, she may be inadmissible to Canada. However, since her inadmissibility period has expired, she may be eligible to travel to Canada on her US green card. It's important to note that even with a valid US green card, she may still need to apply for a visitor visa to enter Canada. It would be best to consult with a licensed immigration lawyer or contact the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) for guidance on her specific situation.