+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel issue

weelo1989

Jul 31, 2017
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me with my question.

I came to Canada as a Syrian refugee legally from Lebanon in December 5th 2016, now I have a job and i got my PR card and applied for a travel document although i do have a valid Syrian passport for 5 more years but am in need to travel to Spain for only a week to see the family and friends.

My question is, can i still use my Syrian passport to travel around or that will effect my PR and citizenship application?

Thank you in advance.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
can i still use my Syrian passport to travel around or that will effect my PR and citizenship application?
Not advisable. Returning to your home country, use of your passport or renewal of an expired passport can be seen as reavailment for a refugee. It's not necessarily going to result in revocation of your status, but there is significant risk it can.

Re-availment of the protection of one's country, in addition to physically returning there, can also include actions such as obtaining or renewing a passport or travel document,Note 104 and leaving or emigrating through lawful channels.Note 105 The same considerations apply to these forms of re-availment too. The surrounding circumstances and the credibility of the claimant's explanations determine whether it can reasonably be concluded that they indicate the absence of the subjective component of a well-founded fear of persecution.
http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/BoaCom/references/LegJur/Pages/RefDef05.aspx#n55

weelo1989

Jul 31, 2017
Thank you for your answer, altho am not planning to go back anytime at all, am only visiting Europe for a week, thats why i wana make sure there is no risk

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
When you travel on your home countries passport you are travelling under that countries protection. That can be seen as willingly accepting the home countries protection (you don't need Canada's protection anymore), making your refugee status in Canada questionable. If you are willing to accept that protection, you don't need refugee protection anymore. Your choice, but extremely risky.