+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel insurance

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

I am planning to touch down in canada and go traveling for a few months around the country. I will not have a permanent address so assume I will not be able to apply for provincial health insurance. I will have activated my PR by touching down there, however, my behaviour and activities will be typical of a tourist. Would I be covered by travel insurance or would being a PR (on paper rather than in terms of my lifestyle) mean such insurance would be invalid?

Thanks

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Your best answer to that will come from an insurer that offers travel insurance. I suggest you contact them and ask

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
In your situation, you will most likely not be covered with a provincial insurance plan as you need to establish your residency first, before you can get provincial medical coverage. Some provinces such as BC, ON, NB, QC and Yukon also have a 3-months waiting period from the moment.

As far as I can tell, your best option is to get visitors to Canada insurance policy that works anywhere in Canada and it does not require you to have any government insurance plan to back it up unlike travel insurance for Canadian residents with a valid provincial insurance plan.

Such insurance is designed to cover the costs for medical emergency treatment for something sudden and unforeseen, the treatment for which cannot be reasonably delayed.

You can take a look at some options be following this link - Visitors to Canada / New Immigrants Insurance

Reactions: expert_law