+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Insurance for US Citizens Visiting the USA (& not covered by prov. plan)

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Background:

Wife is visiting Canada/Ontario with a visitor record that is good until June 30 (she an outland applicant). She has travel insurance to cover her while she is here in Ontario, but she is planning a trip to the USA mid-May to visit parents. Since she doesn't have OHIP, no travel insurance provider I've spoken to (Blue Cross Ontario and CIBC) will cover her in the US because she's not a "resident" of Ontario. Of course, that word "resident" is very fluid and really depends on context. Regardless, both BCO and CIBC (backed by The Co-Operators) consider her to be a resident of Ontario ONLY if she has valid provincial health insurance. Looks like just about every other carrier in Canada is like that. (Of course, she has a bank account and a drivers license and a fixed address, cell phone, gym membership, but you know - not a resident.)

But after thinking about it more, she can't be the ONLY US citizen living/residing/visiting abroad who would like to visit the US temporarily and therefore needs (should have) travel insurance. So I dug a little and found a site that will provide USCs living abroad with travel insurance while they are in the USA.

http://www.insubuy.com/travel-insurance-for-us-citizens-visiting-usa/

I got wifey covered for a month ($100,000 of coverage) for $55USD and a $500 deductible with the first $5,000 covered at 80/20.

Not trying to endorse them - but if you're in the same situation, or may find yourself in the same situation, the info might be helpful and save you a few steps along the way.