+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel insurance for father with Stent

jinneebhat

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
My father had undergone a stent placement a month ago? Will he have trouble having travel coverage to Canada? I read TIC and GMS refusing coverage if the person has heart surgery within 6 months
Wonder if stent placement is defines as a 'heart surgery'

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, angioplasty is a type of heart surgery. You can obtain insurance no problem but it will not cover this pre-existing condition nor any conditions resulting from it. If your father had the angioplasty done earlier, he would be able to purchase coverage for this preexisting condition. Of course the condition would have to be stable (usually within last 6 months).

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aed said:
Yes, angioplasty is a type of heart surgery. You can obtain insurance no problem but it will not cover this pre-existing condition nor any conditions resulting from it. If your father had the angioplasty done earlier, he would be able to purchase coverage for this preexisting condition. Of course the condition would have to be stable (usually within last 6 months).
Sorry, I just noticed I should have been more specific. What I meant was the insurer won't cover any conditions that are not stable within a certain amount of time (usually 6 months). Even if it's non-surgical procedure such as angioplasty with stenting as in your father's case. Even if your father purchased a pre-existing condition coverage, it would apply only to stable conditions. Hope that helps. Good luck.