+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel history within eligibility period but before I moved to Canada

MariaSut

Sep 19, 2018
Hi guys,

So my eligibility period is November 2013 - November 2018, however I moved to Canada in December 2014. Do I need to fill out travel history for the period before I moved to Canada (11/2013 - 11/2014)?

Thanks,
Maria

MariaSut

Sep 19, 2018
yes you need to mention alll the travel done which comes in the eligibility time range
Thank you for your quick answer.

So what should I put in the physical presence calculator for the year before I moved to Canada? I did a couple of trips around Europe the year before I moved to Canada but obviously I don't have any stamps in my passport because all the countries are in European Union and there are no border checks.

Should I only say:
  • November 2013 - November 2018 - Destination: Germany - Reason: Country of residence (???)
Or should I break it down? Example below:
  • 11/1/2013 - 12/14/2013 - Destination: Germany - Reason: Country of residence
  • 12/14/2013 - 12/16/2013 - Destination: Czech Republic - Reason: Vacation
  • 12/16/2013 - 3/30/2014 - Destination: Germany - Reason: Country of residence
  • 3/30/2014 - 4/5/2014 - Destination: France - Reason: Vacation
  • etc.... until December 2014 when I moved to Canada?
Thank you again for your help!

MariaSut

Sep 19, 2018
Also in the Physical Presence calculator it says "The date you left Canada" and "Date you returned to Canada" when I want to enter the period when I lived in Germany. I technically didn't leave Canada cause the first time I visited Canada was the day I moved here.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
IIRC, when you leave Canada on a trip for multiple countries, you only list the 1st one on the calculator, and specify in the trip reasons that you went to the others too.
By the same logic, something like "Nov 2013 - Dec 2014 : Germany : Country of residence. Went to France, Czech Republic... on short trips" should do the trick.

IRCC probably only needs to know that you were not in Canada and don't need a police certificate for the countries you've been to.

MariaSut

Sep 19, 2018
Thank you Seym. But in that case, how would you fill out this entry in the physical presence calculator? These are the mandatory fields for each entry:

*Destination:
*Date you left Canada:
*Date you returned to Canada:
*Reason: (Max 400 characters)

But never left Canada or returned to Canada before I moved there in December 2014.

Thank you for your help!!!!

MariaSut

Sep 19, 2018
Why cant you start your eligibility period from Dec 2014 then.

The eligibility period

1. Calculate how long you’ve been in Canada
    The eligibility period is five (5) years before the date of your application. The minimum amount of time you need to be physically present in Canada is 1095 days within the five years immediately before applying. We encourage applicants to apply with more than the minimum requirement of 1095 days of physical presence, to account for any miscalculations of absences, or any other aspect that could lower the physical presence total below 1095 days.
I'll be applying this November so the eligibility period is 11/2013 - 11/2018.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you Seym. But in that case, how would you fill out this entry in the physical presence calculator? These are the mandatory fields for each entry:

*Destination:
*Date you left Canada:
*Date you returned to Canada:
*Reason: (Max 400 characters)

But never left Canada or returned to Canada before I moved there in December 2014.

Thank you for your help!!!!
Just put the 1st day of your eligibility period and the day you came to Canada there and ignore the literal meaning of "left/return to Canada". Clarify by saying that you were not living in Canada before that period in the reason.
That's a very common situation, they'll easily understand :)