+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel/ Health Insurance - IEC - Ontario

Yarwood

Feb 12, 2014
Hey guys!

First time poster here - I lurked this forum for something that covered my question, but with no luck I figured I would just ask. :)

My names Jarrad, I've just been accepted into the IEC working holiday Visa & plan to spend my time in Toronto. I've received my Work permit - and to my knowledge I need to show up with a bank account with at least $2500 in it & my paperwork for insurance.

The cost for full insurance is very expensive! But my friends in Alberta said they only showed 3 months worth of travel insurance before going onto the provinces health care system. Does this apply for Ontario as well?

Just trying to get my facts together before I make the move. :)

Thanks in ahead!

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Yarwood said:
The cost for full insurance is very expensive! But my friends in Alberta said they only showed 3 months worth of travel insurance before going onto the provinces health care system. Does this apply for Ontario as well?
It is not as easy to become eligible for the provincial health care system, that's why you are required to have a proof of private health insurance coverage when you enter Canada. I believe most IEC visa holders would not be eligible for the provincial coverage. Alberta may be an exception but even there you have to satisfy certain requirements in order to become eligible i.e the type of job, the period of employment etc. Even if you are lucky and able to go on the provincial system you will need to be covered for repatriation which is one of the IEC requirements.

Most IEC applicants will have to apply for private coverage. Moreover you have to be covered for the whole duration of stay, otherwise your visa may be shortened.

You can compare among all Canadian companies to find the optimal IEC Insurance plan as well as read about the IEC Program here:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/>IEC Program</a>

IEC visa holders from Australia can apply for 2 year coverage.

Some companies have special features such as <a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/why-i-choose-tic/>coverage for routine check ups, eye exams, vaccinations and maternity benefits</a> (including prenatal care and delivery) for up to $10,000. Maybe a good choice for the ladies out there.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
So, the issue is that you need to buy a policy that gives you the insurance you need (for the length of time that you need it), so that you meet the IEC visa requirement. There is no standard amount of insurance that you need to buy, but use common sense. A $10,000 or $25,000 coverage amount is most likely not enough. Most people would recommend having at least $50,000 or $100,000 coverage 'just in case'. The amount of money you have to pay can be reduced by about 25% by buying a lower coverage amount and/or using a high deductible (excess), but it's hardly worth the added risk of insufficient coverage.

BestQuote Travel Agency has a one year, $100,000 policy with a $0 deductible for a 29 year old for only $769.20

It would be a little lower than that if you are less than 29. You can purchase it online.

The friends you refer to in Alberta most likely had a one year policy (or longer if Irish or Australian), and cancelled it to get a pro-rated refund once they qualified for provincial health care. Otherwise, if they showed up with only three months of coverage, they would have only received a three month work visa. Unless proof of insurance wasn't asked for. You may not want to risk that.

In Ontario, you can qualify, with an IEC work visa, to go on provincial health care (OHIP) as long as :

"you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months"

"Temporary foreign workers who hold a valid work permit may be eligible for OHIP coverage. The worker must be employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of 6 months and :

Maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and
Be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period, and
Be physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province
Document Requirements: In order to satisfy the above criteria, foreign workers applying for OHIP coverage must present their work permit as well as provide documentation confirming their full-time employment in Ontario for a period of at least 6 months."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/temp_foreign.aspx

Once you apply for OHIP, there is a 3 month waiting period before benefits begin, so apply as quickly as possible to OHIP, then, as long as your policy allows you to get a partial refund (you can't have any claims on the insurance policy before requesting a refund) when you become covered under provincial health care (some policies will only give a partial refund if you return to home country), then you can drop the extra insurance. (Actually, you are not supposed to do this as the IEC insurance requirement requires you to have 'repatriation' benefits (i.e. to ship a dead body home) and OHIP doesn't provide repatriation). That's what most (budget) travellers do when they have to work around the IEC requirement.

Hope this helps.

Hauke21

Aug 21, 2014
Hello everyone,

Haitokin, thank you very much for your helpful answer.
However, I do have a very basic question up front.
I have received a conditional acceptance letter for the IEC program (Young Professional). My question is, if I can choose between getting a private health insurance in my home country (Germany) or getting a health insurance in Canada.

I will be going to Ontario so I am currently still looking into the OHIP plan but as you've already mentionend, OHIP doesn't provide repatriation.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
You may choose a Canadian private health insurance as it will be easier to file a claim and get a refund, especially if you become eligible for OHIP.

It is all right if you have no repatriation coverage with a government health plan. Although it is a requirement to have your Travel Insurance cover repatriation, it should not be a problem once you are in Canada and insured under the OHIP.

You may want to check out and compare different rates for private insurance plans for IEC participants using the On-line Insurance Calculator.

Hope it helps ;D

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2014
Steevy said:
You may choose a Canadian private health insurance as it will be easier to file a claim and get a refund, especially if you become eligible for OHIP.

It is all right if you have no repatriation coverage with a government health plan. Although it is a requirement to have your Travel Insurance cover repatriation, it should not be a problem once you are in Canada and insured under the OHIP.

You may want to check out and compare different rates for private insurance plans for IEC participants using the <a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/>On-line Insurance Calculator</a>.

Hope it helps ;D
How long does it take to get reimbursement once you file a claim? Is there a company that is reliable and provides good benefits? Any suggestions?

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Usually it takes about a week or 2 to get reimbursed unless the insurance company pays directly to the hospital.

As for the companies I would suggest Travelance- they have a good reputation and quite helpful.

M.Victoria

May 30, 2019
Hi everybody,

As you were talking about health insurance maybe you can help me with a doubt. I received an invitation to activate an open work permit in Canada. I decided to enter the country as a tourist first, and activate the work permit as soon as I find a job. Right now I have a health coverage for three months as a tourist, after it ends, I will have to purchase another policy for 12 months to be able to activate my work permit. If i decide to activate my work permit before the initial 3 months, and I present myself at the border with two consecutive policies (means that I will have one for 3 months+one for 9 months already payed) instead of having one unique 12 months insurance that covers the whole working period, do you think it could be a problem to release my work permit?

I hope you are able to understand what I tried to explain :). Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi everybody,

As you were talking about health insurance maybe you can help me with a doubt. I received an invitation to activate an open work permit in Canada. I decided to enter the country as a tourist first, and activate the work permit as soon as I find a job. Right now I have a health coverage for three months as a tourist, after it ends, I will have to purchase another policy for 12 months to be able to activate my work permit. If i decide to activate my work permit before the initial 3 months, and I present myself at the border with two consecutive policies (means that I will have one for 3 months+one for 9 months already payed) instead of having one unique 12 months insurance that covers the whole working period, do you think it could be a problem to release my work permit?

I hope you are able to understand what I tried to explain :). Thank you!
Just buy a 12 month policy saves any misunderstanding given whatever advice given here not worth the risk to get a 9 month permit versus 12 month. CBSA can be very unpredictable and as it is they may ask what you have been up to for the 3 months even though plenty of people do same.

M.Victoria

May 30, 2019
Just buy a 12 month policy saves any misunderstanding given whatever advice given here not worth the risk to get a 9 month permit versus 12 month. CBSA can be very unpredictable and as it is they may ask what you have been up to for the 3 months even though plenty of people do same.
Sure! I just didn't want to lose the 3 months that I have already purchased, given the fact that I would need to activate my work permit before than expected. If I do a 12-month health insurance, I will have both policies overlapped.