+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel from Canada to USA for work under H1b while PR is under process

Ravi Kishore

Nov 21, 2019
HI All,
I have gained 1 year of professional experience in Canada through my employer. It was a closed work permit sponsored by my employer and work permit is valid till Aug 2020. I have applied for PR under CEC class and received an ITA and all documents are submitted for processing next steps.

I hold a H1B visa with the same employer and it is expiring by March 2020. There is a need for me to travel to USA on H1B visa and work for a client based out there, But i still remain with the same employer rather my reporting and pay stubs will be in USA not Canada.

As the PR is already in progress and its being an Inland application under CEC class and i have selected the filed " I possess an offer /LMIA from Canada employer" it gave me additional 50 points hence qualified me for ITA.

My question : Will there be a problem if i travel to USA on h1b visa while my PR is under process with the given conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
RK

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI All,
I have gained 1 year of professional experience in Canada through my employer. It was a closed work permit sponsored by my employer and work permit is valid till Aug 2020. I have applied for PR under CEC class and received an ITA and all documents are submitted for processing next steps.

I hold a H1B visa with the same employer and it is expiring by March 2020. There is a need for me to travel to USA on H1B visa and work for a client based out there, But i still remain with the same employer rather my reporting and pay stubs will be in USA not Canada.

As the PR is already in progress and its being an Inland application under CEC class and i have selected the filed " I possess an offer /LMIA from Canada employer" it gave me additional 50 points hence qualified me for ITA.

My question : Will there be a problem if i travel to USA on h1b visa while my PR is under process with the given conditions.

RK
Yes this would result in you losing the 50 points. You are not currently working for your Canadian employer. You could do work for a US clients while working at the Canadian office as long as you have the appropriate visa.

vaish1605

Feb 23, 2021
HI All,

RK
Hello,
my friend has similar case as you? What happened to your CEC process? Did you get your PR or your application didn't process?

Jul 16, 2023
Yes this would result in you losing the 50 points. You are not currently working for your Canadian employer. You could do work for a US clients while working at the Canadian office as long as you have the appropriate visa.
Hi RK,

I am going through similar situation now !! .
Were you able to get the PR ( if so, what you did ) or were you denied the PR due to loosing those 50 points.

I appreciate your help in this regard. kindly reply back.

Thanks & Regards
Sudarsan Kumar