+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel for work throughout US and Canada with US Citizenship and CA PR?

ekt1022

Jan 31, 2017
Such an obscure question that I'm not sure will be much help to anyone else, but if anyone has some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it:

I am a US citizen (currently residing in US) with a Canadian PR application in process (I expect it will be approved this summer). I intend to settle in Montreal once my visa comes in.

My current employer (a US based company) has a Canadian subsidiary that is willing to hire me once I obtain the Canadian visa IF I can maintain my current job responsibilities, which include travel throughout a sales territory covering NY, Northern New England, Quebec and Ontario.

I am having a very difficult time determining if it will be legal for me to conduct business in the US AND Canada simultaneously if I am a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of the US. My business trips to the US will be short (<7 day) visits. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Would it make things less complicated if I stayed on the US payroll (rather than transferring to the Canadian subsidiary)?

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ekt1022 said:
Such an obscure question that I'm not sure will be much help to anyone else, but if anyone has some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it:

I am a US citizen (currently residing in US) with a Canadian PR application in process (I expect it will be approved this summer). I intend to settle in Montreal once my visa comes in.

My current employer (a US based company) has a Canadian subsidiary that is willing to hire me once I obtain the Canadian visa IF I can maintain my current job responsibilities, which include travel throughout a sales territory covering NY, Northern New England, Quebec and Ontario.

I am having a very difficult time determining if it will be legal for me to conduct business in the US AND Canada simultaneously if I am a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of the US. My business trips to the US will be short (<7 day) visits. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Would it make things less complicated if I stayed on the US payroll (rather than transferring to the Canadian subsidiary)?

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!!
Business trips itself should not be a problem (they might even count to your residency requirements), of course would your employer be Canadian company
But salary from US company can be problematic.
The whole idea of a PR is so that you live in Canada (have permanent residency address), work for Canadian employer and pay taxes in Canada.

Recheck this with an immigration lawyer, if it will be counted or not in your reuired stay period.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Where you're working or getting paid from is irrelevant. As long as you maintain the residency obligation and report your income on Canadian tax return, that is all that matters.

A PR could live in Canada, cross into the US every day to work for a US company, return home to Canada at end of the day... and still easily maintain PR status for their entire lives.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ekt1022 said:
Yes it is allowed. It would make things less complicated if you lived and worked in the same country (payroll in Canada if you live in Canada).

Note that whether or not you make business trips to the USA, you will have to file tax returns in both countries and other assorted unpleasantries because of US financial reporting laws. If you can afford it, get the advice of a cross border tax advisor, at least for the first year, to get started out right.