+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Exemptions: Are PGWP holders able to travel back to Canada?

jess1748

May 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

Posting to see if any PGWP holder has been able to travel back to Canada after the exemptions to the current travel restrictions were announced.

I have been established in Canada since 2016. First as a student and now as a Temporary Foreign Worker [PGWP]. Before the travel restrictions were placed, I left Canada on a vacation break to visit my family. I need to return back because Canada has been my home for these past 4 years - my savings, medicines, health insurance, etc. are all there. The Program Delivery Instructions published by IRCC state [link]:

"The Orders exempt certain foreign nationals who are authorized to travel to Canada to work.
This includes temporary workers who were already established in Canada or who had made arrangements to come to Canada to work before the travel restrictions were put in place."
I am wondering whether this supports my entry to Canada.

Also, I currently hold a paid internship with a Canadian Employer. Although it is being delivered virtually, the company's FAQ explicitly states that interns are not allowed to work remotely outside of Canada (I guess it's because of taxation issues). Plus, I don't have access to my salary anymore because my Canadian debit card is expired, and the new one has been mailed to my Canadian apartment.

I am wondering whether all this satisfies the "travelling for a non-discretionary purpose" condition that is being required from foreign nationals right now. I know that at the end of the day CBSA has the last word on each case, but just wondering what you guys think. Thank you in advance.

BECA RCIC

May 27, 2020
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Hello everyone,

Posting to see if any PGWP holder has been able to travel back to Canada after the exemptions to the current travel restrictions were announced.

I have been established in Canada since 2016. First as a student and now as a Temporary Foreign Worker [PGWP]. Before the travel restrictions were placed, I left Canada on a vacation break to visit my family. I need to return back because Canada has been my home for these past 4 years - my savings, medicines, health insurance, etc. are all there. The Program Delivery Instructions published by IRCC state [link]:

I am wondering whether this supports my entry to Canada.

Also, I currently hold a paid internship with a Canadian Employer. Although it is being delivered virtually, the company's FAQ explicitly states that interns are not allowed to work remotely outside of Canada (I guess it's because of taxation issues). Plus, I don't have access to my salary anymore because my Canadian debit card is expired, and the new one has been mailed to my Canadian apartment.

I am wondering whether all this satisfies the "travelling for a non-discretionary purpose" condition that is being required from foreign nationals right now. I know that at the end of the day CBSA has the last word on each case, but just wondering what you guys think. Thank you in advance.
You will need to bring signed employment contract when you enter Canada. Work is an essential service so they should allow you in.

parthgusani

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
App. Filed.......
1 june
Med's Request
13 june
Passport Req..
10 july
VISA ISSUED...
approved
Hey I was able to travel back. And you?

Did they ask any document? Like job or authorization? Did you have a job here before you travel?