+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel exemptions - accompanying spouse

SdV1980

Dec 21, 2015
I have a work permit authorization and job lined up in Toronto, and consequently qualify for an exemption from the travel restrictions currently in place. My husband has an open work permit authorization obtained through my application process with my employer. We are currently outside Canada and had planned to relocate there after obtaining our work permit authorizations. It’s unclear if he can accompany me to Canada given he doesn’t meet the criteria for travel exemptions. He won’t work because he Is primary care giver to our children who will also come with us to Canada. Any advice if he will be allowed to enter with us?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a work permit authorization and job lined up in Toronto, and consequently qualify for an exemption from the travel restrictions currently in place. My husband has an open work permit authorization obtained through my application process with my employer. We are currently outside Canada and had planned to relocate there after obtaining our work permit authorizations. It’s unclear if he can accompany me to Canada given he doesn’t meet the criteria for travel exemptions. He won’t work because he Is primary care giver to our children who will also come with us to Canada. Any advice if he will be allowed to enter with us?
Sadly the answer is unclear as well.

Based on what we've seen here, it seems that open work permit holders are generally being denied boarding unless they already have a job in Canada since without a job, their travel is classified as non-essential.

You can attempt to get authorization from IRCC - however this doesn't seem to guarantee boarding.

Can you travel first and have your spouse / children follow later once the travel ban has been lifted?

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
My wife had absolutely no problems entering Canada with her open work permit without a job waiting. We‘re still in self isolation so that happend less then 2 weeks ago.

The airline checks when the WP has been issued since they have to be issued on March 18th latest to be allowed to board.
Ours was issued on the 20th and after a call with the embacy , everything was fine and we were able to fly.

Phan Do

Dec 17, 2019
My wife had absolutely no problems entering Canada with her open work permit without a job waiting. We‘re still in self isolation so that happend less then 2 weeks ago.

The airline checks when the WP has been issued since they have to be issued on March 18th latest to be allowed to board.
Ours was issued on the 20th and after a call with the embacy , everything was fine and we were able to fly.
Your wife only had the open work permit approval letter by the time she entered right? Did they ask her anything about job offer thing?

My wife got the open working permit approval since Feb 2020. She wants to fly to Canada in the next 2-3 weeks. Any tips for her when she enter the custom and ask for the permit?

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to your reply

SdV1980

Dec 21, 2015
Sadly the answer is unclear as well.

Based on what we've seen here, it seems that open work permit holders are generally being denied boarding unless they already have a job in Canada since without a job, their travel is classified as non-essential.

You can attempt to get authorization from IRCC - however this doesn't seem to guarantee boarding.

Can you travel first and have your spouse / children follow later once the travel ban has been lifted?
Thank you for the response. Given the uncertainty around travel at the moment I don’t want to risk being separated from them for an undefined duration. Also I can’t really afford to keep two households going at the same time. Going to try our luck. Thanks

SdV1980

Dec 21, 2015

Thanks so much for the reply. That’s a relief to hear. Our permits were issued prior to 18/03 so hope springs. Thank you

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
Your wife only had the open work permit approval letter by the time she entered right? Did they ask her anything about job offer thing?

My wife got the open working permit approval since Feb 2020. She wants to fly to Canada in the next 2-3 weeks. Any tips for her when she enter the custom and ask for the permit?

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to your reply
Yes she only had the open work permit approval at the time we travelled.
They only asked me about my employer and wanted to see that company is still running and they need me to start working.
They didn‘t ask my wife anything.

Since you‘re already in Canada I don‘t think there will be a big problem , but of course it‘s just a opinion and nobody knows.
Might be helpful that your wife can prove that you‘re already there and give the adress and she can isolate ect.

Hope it works out four your wife to come to Canada and reunite with you.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hi Friends, I have a Work Permit authorization letter, I am in USA now. WP authorization letter was obtained in Dec 2019 and also a TRV . I work for an IT organization and my job offer in Toronto is still valid. It is an ICT. Any idea if I would be able to land ? Business is not shut as all of us would be working from home . I cant work from USA as I no longer have travel authorization

subhshiv1086

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019

Hope you are doing well my husband has Sowp issued when he entered Canada with me now he is stuck back in home country (went back for some personal work),can he travel back to Canada ?the work permit was issued on 25th January 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hope you are doing well my husband has Sowp issued when he entered Canada with me now he is stuck back in home country (went back for some personal work),can he travel back to Canada ?the work permit was issued on 25th January 2020
Are you a PR or citizen?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Friends, I have a Work Permit authorization letter, I am in USA now. WP authorization letter was obtained in Dec 2019 and also a TRV . I work for an IT organization and my job offer in Toronto is still valid. It is an ICT. Any idea if I would be able to land ? Business is not shut as all of us would be working from home . I cant work from USA as I no longer have travel authorization
You should be able to travel although you may be questioned about why you have taken so long to move and whether the job is still available. It seems as though you have a spouse. She/he won’t be able to travel.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
You should be able to travel although you may be questioned about why you have taken so long to move and whether the job is still available. It seems as though you have a spouse. She/he won’t be able to travel.
Thanks, my spouse would be going back to india. Do you know anyone else who travelled with ICT ? Also should i book in any hotel for 14 days as part of quarantine arrangement?

Thanks