+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel documents for family members

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
Hello everyone,

All family members of a person being sponsored should submit copies of travel documents - what if a family member doesn't plan on going to canada and doesn't have a travel document (aka internation passport)?

Also is it possible to use a national identity document for the med exam since there is no travel document (internation passport)

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can you be more clear on exactly who you are counting as "family members"?

Who is being sponsored and by who?

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
zardoz said:
Can you be more clear on exactly who you are counting as "family members"?

Who is being sponsored and by who?
okay - spousal sponsorship - and a family member is a child from previous marriage on the principal applicant side - of the person being sponsored

thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK, I think I understand.

You must add that child to the application as a dependant. If there is no travel document available (because there is no intention for them to accompany you) you should note the situation on a separate note and attach it to the application.

The other issue is that under CIC rules, that child must also undergo a medical examination, even though they are not actually accompanying you. I think other positive identification, such as a National ID card will be acceptable. The list of qualifying documents is normally noted by the DMP when the appointment is made.

If this is not possible because the ex-spouse refuses to permit it, then again that must be noted with the application. You will never be able to sponsor the child to join you in the future, should circumstances change and that becomes desirable. CIC will not be happy about it but it does happen and they will accept the application. You might have to formally acknoledge that you know that the child is now inadmissable for Familiy Class sponsorship.

If in doubt, always clarify things with added information attached to the application. CIC can then ask questions but missing information out might be seen as misrepresentation.

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
zardoz said:
OK, I think I understand.

You must add that child to the application as a dependant. If there is no travel document available (because there is no intention for them to accompany you) you should note the situation on a separate note and attach it to the application.

The other issue is that under CIC rules, that child must also undergo a medical examination, even though they are not actually accompanying you. I think other positive identification, such as a National ID card will be acceptable. The list of qualifying documents is normally noted by the DMP when the appointment is made.

If this is not possible because the ex-spouse refuses to permit it, then again that must be noted with the application. You will never be able to sponsor the child to join you in the future, should circumstances change and that becomes desirable. CIC will not be happy about it but it does happen and they will accept the application. You might have to formally acknoledge that you know that the child is now inadmissable for Familiy Class sponsorship.

If in doubt, always clarify things with added information attached to the application. CIC can then ask questions but missing information out might be seen as misrepresentation.
thank you so much