+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Document for Permanent Resident (former refugee)

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
I know someone who was a former refugee from Syria who received Protected Person status. She is now a Permanent Resident and in fact has applied for Canadian citizenship, but it is unlikely that she will receive it and be able to obtain a Canadian passport until at least September. She wants to visit relatives in Germany in June this year. Can someone confirm if this is the correct document she needs to apply for? The heading of the form indicates it is intended for "stateless and protected persons in Canada", However she is no longer a protected person, but is not really "stateless" either. I don't think it would be advisable for her to try to renew her Syrian passport, as I've heard stories about PR's risking cessation if they try to use a passport issued by the country from which they have fled, under any circumstances, even if they are not going to that country. I'm not even sure if it's possible for Syrian citizens to renew their passports in Canada, since the Embassy is still closed (although I see there is a consulate in Montreal). And even if she did manage to renew her passport I'm sure she would then need to apply for a visa to enter Germany. Any thoughts?

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc190.pdf

karanjessica

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I know someone who was a former refugee from Syria who received Protected Person status. She is now a Permanent Resident and in fact has applied for Canadian citizenship, but it is unlikely that she will receive it and be able to obtain a Canadian passport until at least September. She wants to visit relatives in Germany in June this year. Can someone confirm if this is the correct document she needs to apply for? The heading of the form indicates it is intended for "stateless and protected persons in Canada", However she is no longer a protected person, but is not really "stateless" either. I don't think it would be advisable for her to try to renew her Syrian passport, as I've heard stories about PR's risking cessation if they try to use a passport issued by the country from which they have fled, under any circumstances, even if they are not going to that country. I'm not even sure if it's possible for Syrian citizens to renew their passports in Canada, since the Embassy is still closed (although I see there is a consulate in Montreal). And even if she did manage to renew her passport I'm sure she would then need to apply for a visa to enter Germany. Any thoughts?

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc190.pdf
She is pr now. so she can enter Canada with the card. does she have a german visa on her Syrian passport?

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Thanks but I think you misunderstood me. She is already here in Canada and has a PR card that will not expire for a long time. The issue is not about re-entering Canada. She wants to travel to Germany for one month to visit relatives (she has never been to Germany before). She may or may not need a visa to enter Germany, but my main question is about the Canadian travel document vs. renewing her Syrian passport, as outlined in my original post.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017

Hi there!

Ask your friend to be careful when dealing with such things before her citizenship as it might affect her citizenship application if she did something she wasn't supposed to. Firstly, if your friend applied for her permanent residence under the protected person / refugee category then she is still a refugee. The only difference now is that she is a permanent resident as per her refugee status, which means that her permanent residency status totally relies on her still being a refugee. If that's the case, then your friend is entitled to a apply for a refugee travel document. All she has to do is to attach the original PR card (as proof of status) with her application for a refugee travel document and along with include any other valid travel documents in her possession (like her Syrian passport if it was still valid) to the application form along with other requirements (check the instructions on the application form). If she got her PR as a spouse or through any of the other programs (other than refugee), then she is not entitled for a refugee travel document and should only obtain a passport from her country of citizenship, or if she is not able to obtain a passport from her country of citizenship she can then apply for a certificate of identity (with providing proof why she was not able to get a passport from her country of citizenship). But, as far as I remember the certificate of identity is not valid for travel to Germany (the German government does not recognize it), but the refugee travel document will grant her a visa free entrance for tourism/visit purposes to Germany. If she wants to visit other European countries she has to arrange and check with their respective embassies as it's illegal for her to travel into another European country (that she requires a visa for) through Germany and might be in trouble if she gets caught. Just to confirm, your friend is only entitled to a refugee travel document if she got her permanent residence through the protected person / refugee program. Also, she should never renew her Syrian passport if she got her PR under the refugee program as immigration or CBSA might use that as "cessation and vacation of refugee protection" and she might lose her PR. Some people say you can apply to renew your country of original citizenship passport after becoming a Canadian citizen.

Check the following link (it has all the information about the refugee travel document):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

karanjessica

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Thanks but I think you misunderstood me. She is already here in Canada and has a PR card that will not expire for a long time. The issue is not about re-entering Canada. She wants to travel to Germany for one month to visit relatives (she has never been to Germany before). She may or may not need a visa to enter Germany, but my main question is about the Canadian travel document vs. renewing her Syrian passport, as outlined in my original post.
ok. sorry about that. this is what I found.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/processing-times.html
it only take 20 days to get travel document, urgent process takes 2 to 9 days.
so, this is the best thing to do. get the travel document certificate of identity.

karanjessica

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
ok. sorry about that. this is what I found.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/processing-times.html
it only take 20 days to get travel document, urgent process takes 2 to 9 days.
so, this is the best thing to do. get the travel document certificate of identity.
Once we receive your application, we will determine whether to issue you a:

• Refugee travel document; or
  • Certificate of identity

I believe they will issue her the refugee travel document because of her trip info to german in the application.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Thanks to both of you for your help and prompt replies. :) So if I am understanding this correctly, my friend is still considered a 'protected person' for the purpose of this application, even though she already has permanent resident status? That sure isn't very clear from the instructions on the form. It mentions both a 'refugee travel document' and a 'certificate of identity', and it is only in the latter category where they refer to permanent residents. So I thought that meant she might be issued a certificate of identity, even though she is not 'stateless'. For some reason, the certificate of identity costs a lot more ($260) than a refugee travel document ($120), so my friend will be pleased. I've just checked with the German embassy website and it looks like she will not need to get a Schengen visa if she has the refugee travel document. I don't think she intends to visit any other countries. Also I agree with your opinion that people should never re-apply for passports from the country they fled.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
There's no such thing as "former refugee". Even after she obtains PR, she's STILL a protected person. She can't use her Syrian passport. She needs to apply for a RTD. She doesn't need a visa to visit Germany. She needs to be aware she can't travel to other Schengen zone countries without a visa, even if there may not be border security checkpoints.

Reactions: live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
She is entitled for a Refugee Travel Document, NOT a Certificate of Identity.

Get that done, she won’t need a visa to Germany, let her enjoy her trip. & congrats to her already for being a Canadian from now lol :)

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Thank you, you have both confirmed what others have said, and I appreciate the help. It certainly wasn't obvious from the instructions on the form that even as a permanent resident she is still considered a 'protected person' and/or a 'refugee'. If that is indicated somewhere else on the IRCC site, please let me know.

Reactions: sss12345