+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Ban Due to COVID 19 - COPR Holders

atit

Jan 20, 2014
Hi, My wife is having COPR valid till May and she's traveling on April 15 from AMD to YYZ. Please let us know if you get any updates. We have raised COPR but not sure they will reply prior to that.

I know many of us are in the same bot.

seokjinnie

Mar 17, 2020
Hi, My wife is having COPR valid till May and she's traveling on April 15 from AMD to YYZ. Please let us know if you get any updates. We have raised COPR but not sure they will reply prior to that.

following this post! I am a Filipino citizen with an immigrant Visa to Canada and a COPR. Valid only until May 2020. The agency who handled my papers and entire process advised that I CAN be granted entry to Canada. But of course, I want to be certain. My flight is on March 30, straight flight.

Any official information / personal experience will be very helpful

thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
following this post! I am a Filipino citizen with an immigrant Visa to Canada and a COPR. Valid only until May 2020. The agency who handled my papers and entire process advised that I CAN be granted entry to Canada. But of course, I want to be certain. My flight is on March 30, straight flight.

thank you
Read the following link. Only Citizens and PRs and immediate family members of citizens will be allowed to travel to Canada anyone else will be denied boarding. You are not a PR until you have landed

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days.

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.

In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

thank you
If your spouse or common law partner is a Canadian citizen or PR, you can go ahead.

If you won't be able to travel before your COPR expires, you have to send notice to IRCC via webform:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@bellaluna

As seems to be usual with IRCC for new policies they post one link that is then contradicted by another link and as per anyone else on this forum can only provide feedback on basis of what was available at the time of posting, that being the first link below

TJhe original link which still implies immediate family of citizens but not immediate family of PRs is still quoting that

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

But this link implies immediate family of citizens and PRS are exempt from the travel ban

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

atit

Jan 20, 2014
@bellaluna

As seems to be usual with IRCC for new policies they post one link that is then contradicted by another link and as per anyone else on this forum can only provide feedback on basis of what was available at the time of posting, that being the first link below

TJhe original link which still implies immediate family of citizens but not immediate family of PRs is still quoting that

But this link implies immediate family of citizens and PRS are exempt from the travel ban

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en
Oh so both are totally contradicting

Harry2002

Mar 7, 2020

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

This is today’s 20th march update on travel ban..
copr holders can travel

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agree that whilst people might consder this good news to get clarity but still assumes can find an airline still flying internationally in particular where an indirect transit is required given many airlines parking up most their fleets/laying off staff at least until end June so finding a seat may be challenging for a while.

At least for everyone now the situation is clear although nothing specific about 14 day self isolation on arrival which should be a requirement for the next few months. Plus there are all the ramifications of arriving in a new country virtually in shutdown so unless have immediate family immigration will likely be significantly harder on arrival than usual with many businesses in shutdown for a few months.

Add to this assuming a 14 day self isolation is imposed the challenge of that for a new immigrant and does anyone really want to self isolate with their immediate family members to worst case find out they just happen to be positive themselves?

Hard as it might be if the extension option still open people should seriously consider staying put at least until the summer

Last edited:
Reactions: AmyCLC and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that whilst people might consder this good news to get clarity but still assumes can find an airline still flying internationally in particular where an indirect transit is required given many airlines parking up most their fleets/laying off staff at least until end June so finding a seat may be challenging for a while.

At least for everyone now the situation is clear although nothing specific about 14 day self isolation on arrival which should be a requirement for the next few months. Plus there are all the ramifications of arriving in a new country virtually in shutdown so unless have immediate family immigration will likely be significantly harder on arrival than usual with many businesses in shutdown for a few months.

Add to this assuming a 14 day self isolation is imposed the challenge of that for a new immigrant and does anyone really want to self isolate with their immediate family members to worst case find out they just happen to be positive themselves?

Hard as it might be if the extension option still open people should seriously consider staying put at least until the summer
Agree. There is also a huge risk in flying. You are more likely to be exposed to the virus.

Reactions: AmyCLC