+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel back to India

simransingh16

May 7, 2018
Hi,
I am a new immigrant to Canada on PR basis. I landed here on 30th September 2018 and applied for my PR card at the airport which I haven't received. My question is as I have not received my PR card yet can I travel back to India and would still need a visa? and what will be the status of my PR will I be able to return after a gap of say 4 months?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The current average processing time for initial cards is around 47 days so possibly best case you might get your card end Nov begin Dec. If you leave for India before you get your card then either you will need someone to courier your card to you or when you get to India you will need to apply for PRTD to be able to board the plane back.

Any visa that previously held will at some point be void so as long as you have either a PR card or a PRTD you should be fine and also wise to carry you COPR with you as well, and passport of course.

A 4 month stay is nothing given people can stay almost near 3 years out of Canada without affecting their PR status as long as they are in Canada 2 years in first 5 years from landing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

simransingh16

May 7, 2018
The current average processing time for initial cards is around 47 days so possibly best case you might get your card end Nov begin Dec. If you leave for India before you get your card then either you will need someone to courier your card to you or when you get to India you will need to apply for PRTD to be able to board the plane back.

Any visa that previously held will at some point be void so as long as you have either a PR card or a PRTD you should be fine and also wise to carry you COPR with you as well, and passport of course.

A 4 month stay is nothing given people can stay almost near 3 years out of Canada without affecting their PR status as long as they are in Canada 2 years in first 5 years from landing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Thanks a lot for the information. Much appreciated.