+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after oath before having passport

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am taking my oath on July 7th and leaving on holidays to US by car on July 9th.

I will not have my Canadian passport.

Should I expect having problems on my way back? I am thinking to travel with: my passport (I do not have a valid Canadian Visa), health card, driver license, certificate of citizenship, landing and photocopy of PR card.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zumba369 said:
Hi,

I am taking my oath on July 7th and leaving on holidays to US by car on July 9th.

I will not have my Canadian passport.

Should I expect having problems on my way back? I am thinking to travel with: my passport (I do not have a valid Canadian Visa), health card, driver license, certificate of citizenship, landing and photocopy of PR card.

Thanks,
Rodolfo
You can apply for passport after 48 hrs. They will charge additional $110 for emergency processing. You need two additional references than the one on the application. I had my Oath on 26-May and I got my passport on 28-May evening. If your emergency is really emergency then passport Canada can call CIC on the same day of your Oath and ask for your citizenship confirmation. You have to prove your emergency.

Travelling without passport is kind a tricky as you are in the mercy of the CBSA officer. They will let you in but could be a struggle to convince. Sometimes you may get an easy officer and enter smoothly without any issues.

Also if you are planning to stay in US for a more than 2 or 3 weeks then you can look at applying at one of the Canadian consulates in US.

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
You can apply for passport after 48 hrs. They will charge additional $110 for emergency processing. You need two additional references than the one on the application. I had my Oath on 26-May and I got my passport on 28-May evening. If your emergency is really emergency then passport Canada can call CIC on the same day of your Oath and ask for your citizenship confirmation. You have to prove your emergency.

Travelling without passport is kind a tricky as you are in the mercy of the CBSA officer. They will let you in but could be a struggle to convince. Sometimes you may get an easy officer and enter smoothly without any issues.

Also if you are planning to stay in US for a more than 2 or 3 weeks then you can look at applying at one of the Canadian consulates in US.
Thanks for your answer.

I have already cancel half of my vacations to attend to the oath ceremony, I do not regret that, I am very happy.

But I can not push the travel forward.

Thanks again.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Important that you travel with your passport and later you may regret for

several months chase to secure entry etc... better wait when you get oath than

talk to passport dept. they may help you as much as law allow them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you a US citizen? If so - no issues traveling on your US passport. You can get your Canadian passport later.

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Are you a US citizen? If so - no issues traveling on your US passport. You can get your Canadian passport later.
I am not American, I have Spanish and Argentine passports.

Thanks,

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Zumba369 said:
I am not American, I have Spanish and Argentine passports.

Thanks,
You don't need a visa to enter Canada with your Spanish passport. So you can travel and then come back to Canada with your Spanish passport and tell them you are a citizen who didn't apply for canadian passport yet. That should be fine.

maybe carry your COPR copy to be safe.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
keesio said:
You don't need a visa to enter Canada with your Spanish passport. So you can travel and then come back to Canada with your Spanish passport and tell them you are a citizen who didn't apply for canadian passport yet. That should be fine.

maybe carry your COPR copy to be safe.
As well as your citizenship certificate (in addition to the above suggestions by keesio)

Ray

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
If you cross the border by your private car, then you'll be fine. Take a look at this : http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng

If you intend to cross the border by a commercial carrier, be careful.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/enter-canada-with-a-noncanadian-passport-a-canadian-citizenship-certificate-t305326.0.html

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good2011 said:
If you cross the border by your private car, then you'll be fine. Take a look at this : http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng

If you intend to cross the border by a commercial carrier, be careful.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/enter-canada-with-a-noncanadian-passport-a-canadian-citizenship-certificate-t305326.0.html
Thanks to all of you for the answers.

Thanks good2011 for the confirmation.

Good luck !