+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after graduation but before PGWP- Possible or not?

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have two queries for students who have graduated and travelled to their home country on student visa.

I recently graduated (yay!) and wanted to travel to India. My study permit and trv is valid till 15 Dec.

If I travel and return to Canada before 25 Nov, will there be a problem in entering since only few weeks would be left for my visa expiry and I will not have PGWP.

I've done only 1 yr course and my int student advisor suggested that since we can apply for PGWP within 90 days of graduation, I should apply as late (within those 90 days) to get additional visa duration for my next visa.

In short, is it ok to travel before applying for PGWP and to apply PGWP few weeks before the end of current visa. I believe as long as we submit our application, we are ok to stay in the country even if our visa/work permit expires.

Thanks in advance for your time and hope to get some replies on this.

GS

lliam1996

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
HI,I am facing the same situation. Is it possible ? Cause I can't find anything to support me to return Canada in this way.
I am neither under implied status because I haven't applied for pgwp to remain in Canada.
Is it ok for us to return Canada within 90 days of sp expiration?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Hi,

I have two queries for students who have graduated and travelled to their home country on student visa.

I recently graduated (yay!) and wanted to travel to India. My study permit and trv is valid till 15 Dec.

If I travel and return to Canada before 25 Nov, will there be a problem in entering since only few weeks would be left for my visa expiry and I will not have PGWP.

I've done only 1 yr course and my int student advisor suggested that since we can apply for PGWP within 90 days of graduation, I should apply as late (within those 90 days) to get additional visa duration for my next visa.

In short, is it ok to travel before applying for PGWP and to apply PGWP few weeks before the end of current visa. I believe as long as we submit our application, we are ok to stay in the country even if our visa/work permit expires.

Thanks in advance for your time and hope to get some replies on this.

GS
Yes, indeed you can travel. Just make sure you come back within those 90 days and before your current TRV expires. You can also travel after you've applied for your PGWP as long as your TRV is still valid. However, the only negative is that you will have forfeited your right to work under implied status once you return.

So yes you guys can travel, but be careful and think critically about your options before you do so.

Cheers!