Jan 30, 2015
Rotterdam, for now
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I'm sponsoring a Dutch dude.

I moved to Holland to live with him in 2004; we've been married since 2006. In other words, pretty well everything, with the exception of cards and letters from family and friends from outside the country, are in Dutch. I'm getting official documents professionally translated, but what else should be translated?

For example, I have correspondence from our landlord addressed to both of us...is it enough that it's addressed to both of us, or should the body of the letter (merely indicating the annual rent increase) be translated as well?

I also have a newspaper article from the Haarlems Dagblad about our wedding and how we met (Dutchie was a fairly well-known local musician at the time). It's illustrated by a photo of us taken on our wedding day and clearly indicates our names...but is that enough?

Or are official translations cheap enough that I should just suck it up and pay for it all?

We're both between jobs right now, so we're trying not to spend money unnecessarily... :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The rule of thumb is that unofficial documents can be translated by yourselves. Include a copy of the original and your own translated version.

Anything official (PCCs, marriage and birth certs etc.) needs to be formally translated.

Given that you guys have been living together over 10 years and he is Dutch, your burden of proof is VERY LOW, so don't stress over your proofs.

Canuckywoman

Jan 30, 2015
Rotterdam, for now
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
The rule of thumb is that unofficial documents can be translated by yourselves. Include a copy of the original and your own translated version.

Anything official (PCCs, marriage and birth certs etc.) needs to be formally translated.

Given that you guys have been living together over 10 years and he is Dutch, your burden of proof is VERY LOW, so don't stress over your proofs.
Yeah, I'm not TOO stressed. Don't want to take our 10 years together for granted either...Thanks... :)