+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of stamps

Jan 16, 2018
Hey, i have received a test and interview invitation in Calgary. The letter says to bring a certified translation of all stamps, visas in passports if not in english, french.
I had 3 passports in my application plus my family members with bunch of different stamps.
1. I am wondering if this is the standart procedure or a red flag on my case.
2. Do i need to translate stamps before my eligibilty period.
3. Would you translate at all since all numbers are readable and understandable i guess for a normal person? It is just there are some additional words not in english.

Thanks

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hey, i have received a test and interview invitation in Calgary. The letter says to bring a certified translation of all stamps, visas in passports if not in english, french.
I had 3 passports in my application plus my family members with bunch of different stamps.
3. Would you translate at all since all numbers are readable and understandable i guess for a normal person? It is just there are some additional words not in english.

Thanks
1) Yes, standard procedure.
2) I, too, have a similar stamp in my first passport from my childhood. I read on this forum that we do not need to present old passports completely outside the eligibility

Stamp is from UAE, I visited Dubai for one day in 2002. It says "UAE" in English and the date is just numbers. Only text around the date is in Arabic.

@dpenabill, any suggestions ?

Reactions: Michael Jordan
Jan 16, 2018
1) Yes, standard procedure.
2) I, too, have a similar stamp in my first passport from my childhood. I read on this forum that we do not need to present old passports completely outside the eligibility

Stamp is from UAE, I visited Dubai for one day in 2002. It says "UAE" in English and the date is just numbers. Only text around the date is in Arabic.

@dpenabill, any suggestions ?

Thanks, in my 2 question i referred to stamps outside of eligibility period, but for passport which partially covers eligibility period. Therefore this passportwas listed in my application. Still not sure if i need to translate these stamps. Though reading invitationit seems i have to translate every page

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks, in my 2 question i referred to stamps outside of eligibility period, but for passport which partially covers eligibility period. Therefore this passportwas listed in my application. Still not sure if i need to translate these stamps. Though reading invitationit seems i have to translate every page
For stamps inside the eligibility period, do they show the name of country, and whether it's an arrival or departure stamp in English ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks
As @razerblade stated, yes, the request to provide translations for anything not in one of the official languages is standard. Note: this is standard in almost all Canadian immigration and citizenship application processing. The instruction guide states this in the section covering gathering documents and repeatedly in other parts of the guide (which are in reference to particular documents, but the repetition makes it clear, if it was not otherwise clear, that IRCC wants a translation for any information not in an official language).

As to "stamps before [your] eligibility period" TECHNICALLY the date of the stamp does not matter. The applicant does not have to present passports which expired or were cancelled BEFORE the eligibility period, and which otherwise could not be used during the eligibility period. But if a passport was valid or could have been used at some time during the eligibility period, even if only briefly, the applicant is required to present it.

TECHNICALLY the obligation is to translate any information which is not in one of the official languages in any document presented to IRCC. So if a passport needs to be presented, technically the date on the stamp does not matter. It is the validity date of the document which matters.

PRACTICALLY it appears that IRCC (like CIC before it) is at least somewhat flexible, if not outright liberal, in how it approaches this SO LONG AS . . . well, so long as IRCC does not have concerns and what is in the passports can be reasonably understood without a translation.

So, generally an applicant should get anything that is not in an official language translated, BUT many times the interview goes well for applicants who do not; often there is no mention of the stamps at all.

In contrast, more than a few forum participants have reported problems, having to follow-up the interview by obtaining and submitting translations, which sometimes results in a significant delay, and for some apparently a long delay (albeit the longer delays are probably related to additional factors).

The worst case scenario, in almost all cases, is that the applicant is asked to provide the translations and that results in some delay. AN EXCEPTION to this arises in cases where the absence of a translation makes it difficult for the interviewer to meaningfully assess the travel dates, such that it might appear the applicant may have deliberately NOT provided a translation so as to obscure or conceal information (which should be a rather rare situation, and would involve numerous stamps which are very difficult to understand).

Personally, I took the risk. I did not have my stamps translated. I had few stamps overall and only a couple which had some terms in Spanish in the stamp. But the dates were clear. The shape of the stamp was clear (there are several well-recognized conventions followed by most countries, so that officials examining passports can discern what are entry stamps, what are exit stamps, and what are visas, and such, at a glance without having to read the details in the stamps). And I had waited to apply well beyond the minimum threshold and I otherwise had what was (with a particular exception, which was the reason I waited so long to apply) an obviously solid case . . . AND, to be frank, I forgot there was some terms in my stamps not in an official language until just before my interview (when I was looking over my documents preparing for the interview -- I had gotten rather short notice -- and there was no time to get a translation).

Jan 16, 2018
As @razerblade stated, yes, the request to provide translations for anything not in one of the official languages is standard. Note: this is standard in almost all Canadian immigration and citizenship application processing. The instruction guide states this in the section covering gathering documents and repeatedly in other parts of the guide (which are in reference to particular documents, but the repetition makes it clear, if it was not otherwise clear, that IRCC wants a translation for any information not in an official language).

As to "stamps before [your] eligibility period" TECHNICALLY the date of the stamp does not matter. The applicant does not have to present passports which expired or were cancelled BEFORE the eligibility period, and which otherwise could not be used during the eligibility period. But if a passport was valid or could have been used at some time during the eligibility period, even if only briefly, the applicant is required to present it.

TECHNICALLY the obligation is to translate any information which is not in one of the official languages in any document presented to IRCC. So if a passport needs to be presented, technically the date on the stamp does not matter. It is the validity date of the document which matters.

PRACTICALLY it appears that IRCC (like CIC before it) is at least somewhat flexible, if not outright liberal, in how it approaches this SO LONG AS . . . well, so long as IRCC does not have concerns and what is in the passports can be reasonably understood without a translation.

So, generally an applicant should get anything that is not in an official language translated, BUT many times the interview goes well for applicants who do not; often there is no mention of the stamps at all.

In contrast, more than a few forum participants have reported problems, having to follow-up the interview by obtaining and submitting translations, which sometimes results in a significant delay, and for some apparently a long delay (albeit the longer delays are probably related to additional factors).

The worst case scenario, in almost all cases, is that the applicant is asked to provide the translations and that results in some delay. AN EXCEPTION to this arises in cases where the absence of a translation makes it difficult for the interviewer to meaningfully assess the travel dates, such that it might appear the applicant may have deliberately NOT provided a translation so as to obscure or conceal information (which should be a rather rare situation, and would involve numerous stamps which are very difficult to understand).

Personally, I took the risk. I did not have my stamps translated. I had few stamps overall and only a couple which had some terms in Spanish in the stamp. But the dates were clear. The shape of the stamp was clear (there are several well-recognized conventions followed by most countries, so that officials examining passports can discern what are entry stamps, what are exit stamps, and what are visas, and such, at a glance without having to read the details in the stamps). And I had waited to apply well beyond the minimum threshold and I otherwise had what was (with a particular exception, which was the reason I waited so long to apply) an obviously solid case . . . AND, to be frank, I forgot there was some terms in my stamps not in an official language until just before my interview (when I was looking over my documents preparing for the interview -- I had gotten rather short notice -- and there was no time to get a translation).
Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess i will do a full translation.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Can you give us links to those posts. I can't find them using the forum search.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Can you give us links to those posts. I can't find them using the forum search.
Not really. I am referencing sporadic posts in various threads over the course of years, posts in topics which typically have a generic title, similar to "August 20## applications." Reports of applicants required to submit translations after the interview are frequent enough, however, anyone who has been following many threads for a good while should readily recall some.

Similarly the reports from applicants who, like me, did not provide a translation and did not have a problem. These too appear sporadically in a variety of topics the title of which does not signal there is any discussion about passport stamps or translations.

In the meantime, if you doubt the requirement to provide a translation, in addition to the general instruction in the instruction guide, there are more than a dozen references to translations or translators in the Instruction Guide, referring to just about every kind of document which might be submitted in a citizenship application.

Reminder; the general instruction in the guide states:

You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
"Any document . . . " is very broad. Again, this is consistent with other kinds of immigration applications. If a document contains information for IRCC to assess and it is in a language other than one of the official languages, the instruction is to provide a translation. BUT IRCC also appears to be reasonably flexible and practical about this.

Reactions: Michael Jordan