+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of Police Certificate, notarised or not?

amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Should I get a notarised translation of my Police Certificate? or should I get just a certified translation?

I can't find anything online. I'll do the notarised one anyway just in case even though it's more expensive, but I wanted to know too.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The requirements regarding translation are the same for everyone - see the link provided by _ryersonfs

"If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator"

_ryersonfs

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
The requirements regarding translation are the same for everyone - see the link provided by _ryersonfs

"If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator"
Hi, jes_ON,

Does everything that is not in English or French need to be translated by a *certified translator* even if it is translated and notarized?

For example, the police certificate, for China, the requirements are :
1. Notary Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the Notary Public Office) and,
2. a notarized translation.

I suppose the notarized translation should be sufficient?

Besides, I got some bank statements translated and notarized, do I need to get them translated by a certified translator as well?

amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe you wouldn't be able to notarise it if it isn't done by a certified translator. Basically, notarised translation is just the safe option which is why I'll do it anyway.

_ryersonfs

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amamh said:
I believe you wouldn't be able to notarise it if it isn't done by a certified translator. Basically, notarised translation is just the safe option which is why I'll do it anyway.
@amamh I agree. I think for these ''key' documents, notarized translation is much safer. Certified translation for 'supporting' documents should be sufficient.

Not sure what's the situation in Canada, but in other countries such as PRC, local notary public office can do both translation and notarization, hope CIC is okay with this.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
_ryersonfs said:
For example, the police certificate, for China, the requirements are :
1. Notary Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the Notary Public Office) and,
2. a notarized translation.

I suppose the notarized translation should be sufficient?

Besides, I got some bank statements translated and notarized, do I need to get them translated by a certified translator as well?
CIC defines a certified translator as "A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#certified_translator

If the translation is not done by a certified translator, it is supposed to be accompanied by a translator's affidavit -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=040&t=4

"An affidavit for a translation is a document stating that the translation is a true and accurate version of the original text. The translator swears in front of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator lives, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document."

HOWEVER, in your case it sounds like the notarized translation is being done by the same agency that is issuing the PCC - is that correct? I think in that case, it will be accepted.

amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am I supposed to know what "PCC" means?

amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh I see now, "PCC" means the police certificate, no the PCC is from the government, the translation is by a certified translator and notarised by the Canadian embassy.