+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of PCC + Certified Translation with Stamps in Another Language

amp89

Jul 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

I hope you're having a great week.

I have some questions regarding the translation of supporting documents:

1. Police Certificate

I was wondering if anyone's submitted a PCC with a notarized translation and if this has been accepted by IRCC. My PCC was translated by a professional translator who attached an affidavit to the translation. However, I then found this:

"If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation from a certified translator". (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/about.html)

What makes it even more confusing is that the affidavit option is mentioned in the top questions for PCC:

What is an affidavit for a translation? (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?st=4.7)

I'm not sure if I can use the notarized translation I have, or if I need to get a retranslation by an ATIO-certified translator.

2. Certified Translation with Stamps in Another Language

I have two certified translations that I got in my home country a couple of years ago. The certified translator's stamp and the legalization by the local Translators' Association are in Spanish. Should I have them translated too? Like a translation over another translation? Sounds like overcomplicating things a bit. Has anyone faced this situation before, and how did it play out for you? I used those translations to validate my studies with WES, and it worked alright. Ideally, I would like to submit the exact same document to avoid any misunderstandings when they check my ECA and supporting documents. I was thinking of attaching a LoE saying that the translation doesn't need an affidavit because it's been done by a certified translator.

Thank you in advance for your responses. I tried to contact the IRCC Call Centre, but I could not get ahold of an agent.

Last edited: