+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of Non-English Passport Stamps

basel4380

Jul 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I understand that translation of non-English passport stamps are not required with the citizenship application, but rather required at the interview to verify the stamps ... is it recommended that I include them with the application ? looking to hearing your experiences ....

Regards,

Basel

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
basel4380 said:
Hello all,

I understand that translation of non-English passport stamps are not required with the citizenship application, but rather required at the interview to verify the stamps ... is it recommended that I include them with the application ? looking to hearing your experiences ....

Regards,

Basel
you understand right!

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
basel4380 said:
Hello all,

Regards,

Basel
I just passed the test today and it had been my dilemma - whether to translate the non-english stamps. I had decided not to. I had Russian and Azerbaijany (a country on the caspian see) stamps with the name of the airport written in Russian and in Azerbaijany respectively. Both set of stamps had arrows indicating entry and exit. The dates were in Arabic (usual) numbers. The officer had no problem obviously with understanding the stamps without any translation as she never even brought up this subject.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the interview you need the translation. Don't include any extra information in your application.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
For the interview you need the translation. Don't include any extra information in your application.
Was it specifically mentioned on the Test invite to have the translation? Or you thought that was a good idea to have it with you?
The post before yours says he had non-english stamps in passport and officer aint care.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Was it specifically mentioned on the Test invite to have the translation? Or you thought that was a good idea to have it with you?
The post before yours says he had non-english stamps in passport and officer aint care.
Yes it is in the test invite. Please see below:

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
Yes it is in the test invite. Please see below:

Sorry, I'm asking about the translation of the non-english visas (entry-exit) from your passport; thats we are talking about here, right?

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Sorry, I'm asking about the translation of the non-english visas (entry-exit) from your passport; thats we are talking about here, right?
Yes. My stamps were in different language. So in the interview, the officer asked for my english translation of the stamps to verify my entry / exit dates on my residence calculation sheet.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
Yes. My stamps were in different language. So in the interview, the officer asked for my english translation of the stamps to verify my entry / exit dates on my residence calculation sheet.
ok. but you were not specifically asked to have that translation. it was you initiative that came in handy. but again, you cant be sure what would have happened without having the translation. is this a pretty accurate statement in your case?

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
ok. but you were not specifically asked to have that translation. it was you initiative that came in handy. but again, you cant be sure what would have happened without having the translation. is this a pretty accurate statement in your case?
It specifically says in the invitation to provide certified translations of non english documents. The stamp pages of my passport were in different language, so based on the invitation letter, i had to translate them. The officer actually asked for the translations after seeing the stamps.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
It specifically says in the invitation to provide certified translations of non english documents. The stamp pages of my passport were in different language, so based on the invitation letter, i had to translate them. The officer actually asked for the translations after seeing the stamps.
hey man, dont play with words. there is nowhere specifically asked to have or bring with you the stamps translated. its very good and forthcoming that you have had it, but it is not required unless specifically mentioned.

opposed, for PR card renewal you specifically required that:

Quote from PC card renewal guide (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp)

4. [size=10pt]Additional documents of proof of residence in Canada in the past five (5) years[/size]

Include the following with your application:

Photocopies of all pages of all passports you held in the past five (5) years (if your stamps are not in English or French, please have them translated, see section on Translation of documents), and .......

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
hey man, dont play with words. there is nowhere specifically asked to have or bring with you the stamps translated. its very good and forthcoming that you have had it, but it is not required unless specifically mentioned.

opposed, for PR card renewal you specifically required that:

Quote from PC card renewal guide (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp)

4. [size=10pt]Additional documents of proof of residence in Canada in the past five (5) years[/size]

Include the following with your application:

Photocopies of all pages of all passports you held in the past five (5) years (if your stamps are not in English or French, please have them translated, see section on Translation of documents), and .......
Dude, you gotta be kidding me lol It says if documents (doesn't specify passports, stamps, etc., it says documents meaning anything including passport) are not in English or French, please include certified translation. The entry / exit part of my passport had non English stamps, so according to this letter I had to get them translated. It is common sense, I can't believe you are debating about this with me lol

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
Dude, you gotta be kidding me lol It says if documents (doesn't specify passports, stamps, etc., it says documents meaning anything including passport) are not in English or French, please include certified translation. The entry / exit part of my passport had non English stamps, so according to this letter I had to get them translated. It is common sense, I can't believe you are debating about this with me lol
i'm not debating anything; i just want to point out the difference between choosing to have in advance everything they might require in order to avoid delays, and what is actually required. Now as you can see there is at least another guy who had non-english stamps at interview and was not asked for translation. I dont have stamps in my passport to be able to confirm in my case and for sure i would have had ready a translation if i had.
But whatever, if you think that translation saved your day, feel free to think that. Unfortunately here are many people sending tons of not-required documents only believing that will assure a fast and smooth processing and then starting crying out it takes forever and pump in calls to CIC and compose ATIP (forgive my ignorance if spelled wrong) requests.

Congratulation anyway!

RussCan said:
I just passed the test today and it had been my dilemma - whether to translate the non-english stamps. I had decided not to. I had Russian and Azerbaijany (a country on the caspian see) stamps with the name of the airport written in Russian and in Azerbaijany respectively. Both set of stamps had arrows indicating entry and exit. The dates were in Arabic (usual) numbers. The officer had no problem obviously with understanding the stamps without any translation as she never even brought up this subject.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
i'm not debating anything; i just want to point out the difference between choosing to have in advance everything they might require in order to avoid delays, and what is actually required. Now as you can see there is at least another guy who had non-english stamps at interview and was not asked for translation. I dont have stamps in my passport to be able to confirm in my case and for sure i would have had ready a translation if i had.
But whatever, if you think that translation saved your day, feel free to think that. Unfortunately here are many people sending tons of not-required documents only believing that will assure a fast and smooth processing and then starting crying out it takes forever and pump in calls to CIC and compose ATIP (forgive my ignorance if spelled wrong) requests.

Congratulation anyway!
Oh don't get me wrong man. I am with you on NOT sending anything extra with your application. However, for the interview I took everything with me there and the translation was required (at least for my case as I had entry / exit stamps in different language)

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
OP_POP said:
Oh don't get me wrong man. I am with you on NOT sending anything extra with your application. However, for the interview I took everything with me there and the translation was required (at least for my case as I had entry / exit stamps in different language)
its exactly what i want to point out.