+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of important documents (birth, marriage certificate, etc)

panamadan

Sep 11, 2015
As everyone is no doubt aware, CIC's instructions about translations are very misleading and next to useless.

I've translated the my wife's documents via a locally (Panama) certified translation service. They're very professionally done on legal sized paper complete with translators name, signature, and stamp. Is that enough for CIC? Obviously it's not a Canadian certified translator.

I thought to get the documents "legalized" (apostiled) for foreign governments through the ministry of foreign affairs here, which CIC doesn't seem to be asking for. That is a very complicated process here, involving multiple departments signing and authenticating documents, re-translating (!) everything after getting everything signed, then getting that authenticated, etc. It will take at least a dedicated week of running around and waiting in lines, plus almost $200. Then typically one takes that to the Canadian embassy where they'll happily authenticate the authenticated documents at $50 a page. Nowhere does CIC seem to indicate that any of that pain is necessary.

As a sponsor residing abroad, I also have to send a copy of my local government-issued id card (the Panama equivalent of a PR card). I've photocopied it, got it translated by the same service as above, and it seems to me I just have to certify the photocopy at a notary now, following CIC's instructions:

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
the name of the original document,
the date of the certification,
his or her name,
his or her official position or title, and
his or her signature.
The ministry of foreign affairs can legalize the thing for me again, but it's another long-winded processes involving multiple government departments and lines. Again, it seems like overkill here. CIC's instructions don't say anything about that.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
panamadan said:
Nowhere does CIC seem to indicate that any of that pain is necessary.
If the CIC guide doesn't say to do it, then don't do it. I don't see what's misleading about this.

The only thing you need to do for translated docs is:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.
Translations may be done by a person who is fluent in both languages (English or French and the unofficial language). If the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada, the translation must be accompanied by an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:
a notary public
a commissioner of oaths
a commissioner of taking affidavits
Outside of Canada:
a notary public
And you're already aware what they are asking you to do for photocopies of translated docs. If they don't specifically ask you to do anything else, then don't.

panamadan

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. It's confusing, because elsewhere people seem to indicate that the affidavit is only needed if you have e.g. a buddy translate your documents. See: /canada-immigration-discussion-board/affidavit-for-translation-t77118.0.html;msg885343#msg885343

In this case the translator is willing to go with me to the notary and swear an affidavit, for the low price of $150, plus whatever the notary charges me. Is that required? They're only locally certified, so not a Canadian certified translator in CIC terminology. It still beats the pants off the apostiling process, but that's going to be over $200 and I want to be sure it's really required!

**EDIT**

Actually, it seems to me that if the affidavit is required, I'm better off ripping up the "official" translations, getting a buddy to translate them, taking him to the notary to swear the affidavit and then buying him lunch. It makes no sense, but that's bureaucracy for you.

Thanks,
Dan

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ya I'm not sure about the affidavit part when translations are done outside Canada. We did our translations in Canada, so the translator just put their own stamp on it and was no need to go to a notary. If many other people are going to professional translators in other countries and CIC is accepting their docs without the additional step of the translator going to a notary, then I assume that would be safe to do as well. Perhaps some professional translation companies also have their own in-house notaries that can certify the translator's work?

Of course you'll need to go to a notary anyways to get your translated photocopies of documents where you aren't submitting the original, "certified true".

snasir123

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Hi all,

Please highlight on the affidavit part. Do we still need an affidavit if I have the certified copy of original document ( Birth certificate)-Had stamp and signature of translator . Do i still need an affidavit from him ? please advise

bmelia

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi all,

Please highlight on the affidavit part. Do we still need an affidavit if I have the certified copy of original document ( Birth certificate)-Had stamp and signature of translator . Do i still need an affidavit from him ? please advise
Hi, I'm also confused regarding the affidavit, we need the feedback of expert members here!

hasti815

Jan 16, 2020
I'm having the same question here. Can anyone advise me on this? Do I need the affidavit if the translator is certified by the local government?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm having the same question here. Can anyone advise me on this? Do I need the affidavit if the translator is certified by the local government?
Honestly it's not that difficult to read the guide:
If the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada, the translation must be accompanied by an affidavit
If your locally certified translator is not a member of a provincial or territorial organization of translators in Canada you need an affidavit.

hasti815

Jan 16, 2020
I'm asking because in my home country, nobody gets an affidavit for translated documents as described by CIC, and nobody has ever got rejected for that. There is only a page provided by the translator that presents their info and their registration number in English.
So I suppose this page works as an affidavit. Right?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm asking because in my home country, nobody gets an affidavit for translated documents as described by CIC, and nobody has ever got rejected for that. There is only a page provided by the translator that presents their info and their registration number in English.
So I suppose this page works as an affidavit. Right?
If it's not what IRCC says you must provide, you're taking a risk of the document being refused.

Your question is literally "I'm not going to provide what the application guide calls for, is that okay?"

hasti815

Jan 16, 2020
I'm simply asking if affidavit can be a paper like that! Of course there is no risk as "nobody" has ever got rejected because of this in my country.
I only want to understand what affidavit exactly is, as one of my documents is from a foreign country and I need to know what should I ask from the translator in that foreign country.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm simply asking if affidavit can be a paper like that! Of course there is no risk as "nobody" has ever got rejected because of this in my country.
I only want to understand what affidavit exactly is, as one of my documents is from a foreign country and I need to know what should I ask from the translator in that foreign country.
An affidavit is a statement signed by a notary public that attests to the fact that the document is a certified copy and translation of the original.

You know the outcome of literally every application from your country to say that nobody was rejected for unattested translations?