+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of entry/exit stamps for citizenship application

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
Hi,

Previously, people used to submit translation of passport stamps (as some countries use non English stamps) along with their citizenship application. Now, it is not asked for in document checklist. Should we have it ready in hand for interview? would officer have these information by getting them from Border Agency or he/she would need to check it in our passport?
I believe Canada border agency only records entry to the country, and exit date should be obtained from passport stamps. I would appreciate your advise on the matter.

rrajendra

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Translation of passport stamps is not a must submit document, but CIC can still ask it if they feel the need to...

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
reasonabledude said:
Hi,

Previously, people used to submit translation of passport stamps (as some countries use non English stamps) along with their citizenship application. Now, it is not asked for in document checklist. Should we have it ready in hand for interview? would officer have these information by getting them from Border Agency or he/she would need to check it in our passport?
I believe Canada border agency only records entry to the country, and exit date should be obtained from passport stamps. I would appreciate your advise on the matter.
Keep it for your interview reference. CBSA report records all the entries.
Officer will check your passport to verify the entries/exits and will match it with physical presence calculator.

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
Officer will check your passport to verify the entries/exits and will match it with physical presence calculator.
my passport has 19th stamp and few visa but since i came in Canada i took only trip visited my family. And i stay one night Dubai due to connecting flight when i am coming back to Canada, and the stamp is in arabic language

what should i do ...

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
Thanks for your advise. The reason I asked to make sure I have to do it, is it would be expensive specially when you apply as family. They charge $50 each passport and an extra $5 each stamp and all the stamps must be listed and translated. It will cost several hundred dollars.

mda201701

Mar 3, 2017
reasonabledude said:
Thanks for your advise. The reason I asked to make sure I have to do it, is it would be expensive specially when you apply as family. They charge $50 each passport and an extra $5 each stamp and all the stamps must be listed and translated. It will cost several hundred dollars.
Is it possible to find an organisation to do the translation for free? I know one in Toronto which helps Chinese people to translate their passports for free.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
mda201701 said:
Is it possible to find an organisation to do the translation for free? I know one in Toronto which helps Chinese people to translate their passports for free.
Why don't you tell them you are Chinese? ;D

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Need Canadian Pr said:
my passport has 19th stamp and few visa but since i came in Canada i took only trip visited my family. And i stay one night Dubai due to connecting flight when i am coming back to Canada, and the stamp is in arabic language

what should i do ...
The burden is on the applicant to prove his/her eligibility and satisfy the requirements to become a citizen. If it takes few $$$ to get the things done like translation of stamps etc , then it should absolutely needs to be done which will help you in getting your citizenship easily and smoothly. You never know if the officer will ask for it or not so it's better to have it handy.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Need Canadian Pr said:

what should i do ...

Have the stamps translated beforehand because you never know if the officer would be interested in asking for stamps translation and if you already have it then it will save your time else your processing of your application can be delayed until you get the translations done.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
Have the stamps translated beforehand because you never know if the officer would be interested in asking for stamps translation and if you already have it then it will save your time else your processing of your application can be delayed until you get the translations done.

Do you know in Vancuber or Victoria has any one who does translated from Arabic to English

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
mda201701 said:
Chinese community is fantastic, it is part of your culture to help each other. You can see it in workplace as well. Unfortunately, I have no hope for free service, the cheapest I have found so far is $25 each passport and again an extra $5 each stamp. Thanks for your advise anyway :)

The-Ottawan

Dec 3, 2016
In my interview, I was asked to provide a translation of all the non-English and non-French stamps.

I would suggest translating them and taking them with you to the interview.

In regards to translation, you can have a friend do it for you then they will need to go to a commissioner of oath and sign and affidavit swearing that the translation is correct.

This is what they asked me to do and would suffice.

Best of luck

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
The-Ottawan said:
In my interview, I was asked to provide a translation of all the non-English and non-French stamps.
Thanks for your advise. Can you say when was your interview? You applied under 4/6 or 3/5?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
simoncanada said:
Do you know in Vancuber or Victoria has any one who does translated from Arabic to English
Here is a helpful link:

https://www.stibc.org/page/certified%20member%20directory.aspx

Shukrieh Merlet
White Rock
V4B 1H1
Cell 604-818-1355
Home Phone 604-536-1197

Riadh Muslih BC CA
Phone 604-339-0705
Cell 604 339-0705
info@targama.ca

mda201701

Mar 3, 2017
Hi reasonabledude,

This the instruction to translation of documents for PR card renewal. It should also applicable for citizenship application.

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.
Translations may be done by a person who is fluent in both languages (English or French and the unofficial language). If the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada, the translation must be accompanied by an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:

a notary public
a commissioner of oaths
a commissioner of taking affidavits
Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Consult your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside of Canada:

a notary public
Authority to administer oaths varies by country. Consult your local authorities.

Important information: Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by members of the applicant’s family. Family member is defined as being a: parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.