+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of documents/Certified copy for Express Entry - Finally clarified by CIC!!!

natasha_zh

Nov 9, 2020
Disclaimer: I am neither in the law or immigration business, and all of information below are compiled based on my personal research. You should refer to CIC as official guideline and avoid using this post as instructions during your application.

On 2020/11/19, CIC has finally updated the 'Translation of Documents' area under 'Apply for permanent residence: Documents for Express Entry', where the most up-to-date explanation is super clear what are required:

Translation of documents

If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload
  • an English or French translation that’s
    • stamped by a certified translator
      • The translator should photocopy your original document and stamp it if that’s what they based the translation on.
      • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated. You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator
    • or
    • accompanied by an affidavitfrom the person who completed the translation
      • Use this option only if a translation cannot be completed by a certified translator.
      • Both the translated document and the original document the translator worked from must be referred to in the affidavit.
  • a scan of the original document, or a scan of a certified photocopyof the original document that the translator worked from
    • You only need to provide a scan of a certified photocopy of the original document if the translation was based on the certified photocopy.
This new explanation is so valuable as it clarifies a lot of conflicting information we've seen so far.

The confusion before was caused mainly by the part about 'Certified Photocopy' as the previous version stated that a 'Certified Copy' is needed, irregardless of which document the translation is based on. If you are interested, here is the link to the previous version.

Based on the new instruction, below is a summary of my personal interpretation:

In your case...
The translator is receiving the original documentThe translator is NOT receiving the original document
The translator is a 'Certified Translator'Combination A
  • Scan of Original
  • Translation set by a certified translator, that includes
    • a stamped translation
    • a stamped photocopy of the original
Combination B
  • Scan of Original (Optional)
  • Scan of certified photocopy of original
    • a stamped translation
    • the certified photocopy stamped
The translator is NOT a 'Certified Translator'Combination C
  • Scan of Original
  • Translation set by a person that is NOT a certified translator, that includes
    • a translation
    • an affidavit that refers to both the translation and the original
Combination D
    • a translation
    • an affidavit that refers to both the translation and the certified photocopy of original

Some notes:

For combination A:
  • It's crucial that you are sending the translator the actual ORIGINAL document, from which they will make a photocopy
  • if you can only send a photocopy of the original to them, you should actually refer to Combination B
For combination A and B:
  • It's important that the translator stamps on EVERY PAGE
  • The translator's certification is confirmed by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s membership number
  • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated
  • You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator
For combination B and D:
  • To certify a copy is usually more work than the translation itself, I advise always sending out the original, if possible
  • When uploading in EE, judging from the instruction here, the scan of original seems to be optional, but to be on the safe side, just upload a scan of the original too
For combination C and D:
  • It's important the affidavit refers to both the translation and the document the translation is based on
  • You should avoid using a non-certified translator if you can find a certified one, as it is clearly stated here by the CIC
If you have any question about affidavit, certified translator or certified copy, please read the full CIC instruction page in details.

As stated in the 'disclaimer', I don't have any real experiences yet with CIC and hence cannot attest to the accuracy of above.
In general, when it comes to information on this forum, it's always good to take it with a grain of salt.

Please feel free though to leave a comment if you want to discuss :)

£ddy

Aug 24, 2020
Hello Natasha,

As per the official CIC website described the Certified translator

A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada.

Does that means all the translators who aren't in Canada (Not a certified Translators?)

natasha_zh

Nov 9, 2020
Hello Natasha,

As per the official CIC website described the Certified translator

A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada.

Does that means all the translators who aren't in Canada (Not a certified Translators?)

Hi, to my understanding, 'A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada' is only referring to translators that are in Canada.

Some translators are actually not based in Canada, but nevertheless are in good standing with a Canadian translation association, but these translators are a minority.

For translators that are outside Canada and (most likely) not a member of Canadian association, they should have some equivalent certifications from their own country. Unfortunately, CIC didn't specify the exact criteria the foreign translators need to satisfy, so you can't really be certain if they meet CIC's requirement. Therefore, for any translator that falls into this category, I would recommend you ask for an 'affidavit' from them, aka, go for combination C or D.

bigbedford

Mar 17, 2023
Disclaimer: I am neither in the law or immigration business, and all of information below are compiled based on my personal research. You should refer to CIC as official guideline and avoid using this post as instructions during your application.

On 2020/11/19, CIC has finally updated the 'Translation of Documents' area under 'Apply for permanent residence: Documents for Express Entry', where the most up-to-date explanation is super clear what are required:

This new explanation is so valuable as it clarifies a lot of conflicting information we've seen so far.

The confusion before was caused mainly by the part about 'Certified Photocopy' as the previous version stated that a 'Certified Copy' is needed, irregardless of which document the translation is based on. If you are interested, here is the link to the previous version.

Based on the new instruction, below is a summary of my personal interpretation:

In your case...
The translator is receiving the original documentThe translator is NOT receiving the original document
The translator is a 'Certified Translator'Combination A
  • Scan of Original
    • a stamped translation
    • a stamped photocopy of the original
Combination B
    • a stamped translation
    • the certified photocopy stamped
The translator is NOT a 'Certified Translator'Combination C
  • Scan of Original
    • a translation
    • an affidavit that refers to both the translation and the original
Combination D
    • a translation
    • an affidavit that refers to both the translation and the certified photocopy of original

Some notes:

For combination A:
  • It's crucial that you are sending the translator the actual ORIGINAL document, from which they will make a photocopy
  • if you can only send a photocopy of the original to them, you should actually refer to Combination B
For combination A and B:
  • It's important that the translator stamps on EVERY PAGE
  • The translator's certification is confirmed by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s membership number
  • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated
  • You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator
For combination B and D:
  • To certify a copy is usually more work than the translation itself, I advise always sending out the original, if possible
  • When uploading in EE, judging from the instruction here, the scan of original seems to be optional, but to be on the safe side, just upload a scan of the original too
For combination C and D:
  • It's important the affidavit refers to both the translation and the document the translation is based on
  • You should avoid using a non-certified translator if you can find a certified one, as it is clearly stated here by the CIC
If you have any question about affidavit, certified translator or certified copy, please read the full CIC instruction page in details.

As stated in the 'disclaimer', I don't have any real experiences yet with CIC and hence cannot attest to the accuracy of above.
In general, when it comes to information on this forum, it's always good to take it with a grain of salt.

Please feel free though to leave a comment if you want to discuss :)

Hi Natasha.

Thanks for this great explanation.

I checked my documents before submitting and found that I have translated y a non-certified translator. I have also notarized it and the affidavit has taken place in a Notary Public. However the IRCC website indicates that "Use this option only if a translation cannot be completed by a certified translator."
Is it OK if I submit my profile without translated by a certified translators, keeping in mind that I living in Toronto and I should have access to a certified translator?