+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translating Whatsapp conversation

rkuma145

Mar 22, 2017
Hi,

In my file which i submitted last week, i include 10 pages of whatsapp conversations

The issue is, although we had used the english alphabet, we were speaking in punjabi (i.e. writing punjabi words using english alphabet).....

Is this going to be an issue?

Can i send an "update" to my application before i have it returned :(
Hi I need to submit my file later this month and we are in the same situation,please confirm if your file was accepted or they asked you to get it translated?thanks in advance

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi I need to submit my file later this month and we are in the same situation,please confirm if your file was accepted or they asked you to get it translated?thanks in advance
The checklist is very clear on page 8:

"You must provide certified translations in either English or French of all proof of contact documents that are not already in English or French."

You must translate them.

Reactions: rkuma145

Yuba

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
i downloaded my whats app chat message into a word file ? is this acceptable? or do i need to screen shot it? i will get it certified. My conversation are in english so no translation required.

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
i downloaded my whats app chat message into a word file ? is this acceptable? or do i need to screen shot it? i will get it certified. My conversation are in english so no translation required.
i think better screen shot !

mina1120

Nov 13, 2020
Anyone?
I'm new here and I have questions on how the translation should be. I'm translating for someone else but I'm not a certified translator.
  1. If the conversation screenshot has some English sentences in it, should I still write them in the translation document or leave them out? Sentences like "I love you" or "Where are you."
  2. If I should not include them, what should I put then? Should I put a note like "Already in English" or just leave a space?
  3. Should the translation be in context or word for word? (I want to make sure especially that some words or expressions in our language don't have direct translation in English)
  4. Should I copy the format of the original conversation? Like the wife's message on the left side and the husband's on the right?
Last one: Is it okay if I put "Freelance English Teacher" as my job title? That's what I do now but I was a preschool teacher and an English teacher for private schools before but I guess they don't matter. It's almost a year ago.

Please, anyone who knows the answers? Thank you!

deemahluhahs

May 27, 2019
When you said "YOU GOT THEM TRANSLATED" does it mean you had them translated to a legal translator, with affidavit etc? or you did it your self?
Hi Ahmed,

I am applying spouse sponsorship, I followed this threat for having conversation translated in English. I need sample to make one for chats translated and I want to know if this can be done as normal photograph printed or on a Letter size sheet. Can you please share a copy of your chat privately.

• Haha
Reactions: Phalos

deemahluhahs

May 27, 2019
Hi Ahmed,

I am applying spouse sponsorship, I followed this threat for having conversation translated in English. I need sample to make one for chats translated and I want to know if this can be done as normal photograph printed or on a Letter size sheet. Can you please share a copy of your chat privately.

josekthomas

Oct 4, 2019
I have a doubt.
If 90% of the chats are in English but 10% of the chats in another language(mostly some phrases and words). Will this needs to be translated?
I believe these will not disturb the overall sense of chats. Do IRCC officers allow some tolerance in language?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a doubt.
If 90% of the chats are in English but 10% of the chats in another language(mostly some phrases and words). Will this needs to be translated?
I believe these will not disturb the overall sense of chats. Do IRCC officers allow some tolerance in language?
It should be ok. Better would be to include others that don't have foreign language, ie why include the foreign language part, but still probably okay.

Personal opinion only.

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
Anyone?
I'm new here and I have questions on how the translation should be. I'm translating for someone else but I'm not a certified translator.
  1. If the conversation screenshot has some English sentences in it, should I still write them in the translation document or leave them out? Sentences like "I love you" or "Where are you."
  2. If I should not include them, what should I put then? Should I put a note like "Already in English" or just leave a space?
  3. Should the translation be in context or word for word? (I want to make sure especially that some words or expressions in our language don't have direct translation in English)
  4. Should I copy the format of the original conversation? Like the wife's message on the left side and the husband's on the right?
Last one: Is it okay if I put "Freelance English Teacher" as my job title? That's what I do now but I was a preschool teacher and an English teacher for private schools before but I guess they don't matter. It's almost a year ago.

Please, anyone who knows the answers? Thank you!
You can not translate if you are not a certified translator.
I converted my chat into word file and from there I choose some portion for translation.
I put 1 page from original word file and translated that page with certified translator.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
You can not translate if you are not a certified translator.
I converted my chat into word file and from there I choose some portion for translation.
I put 1 page from original word file and translated that page with certified translator.
“Certified translator” what’s this ? A new title ? Come on, especially in some poor countries, they don’t have a register of those “certified translators”. I know IRCC is using this terminology, but in practice, how can they even verify if someone is “certified” or not ? And certified by who ? In many countries, it’s a big mess, and most (all?) of them are freelancers.