+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translating Chats for our Application - Please help!

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there!

Please kindly help in this issue that we run into lately while completing our application for Outland Spousal sponsorship!

My husband and I both are from the same small region within Russia. In our conversations in WhatsApp we used mainly Russian and English so there was no problem finding a certified translator to translate it all. However we are also attaching some posts on Instagram by our friends and community that shared our wedding with their followers, praised our wedding and wished us wishes (they all included pictures of us from the wedding) . We decided to use these posts as part of our proof of relationship. The only issue is although these posts are all in Russian, they have maybe 5 to 6 words of our native dialect in each post (all these friends are from the same region we are from and speak that same language). The problem with that native language of ours is that there is LITERALLY (and we checked) NO certified translator that could help us translate these couple of phrases into English. That’s mainly because the region is very small and so is the population. We don’t have many professionals sadly. These couple of word in our native language in those posts are simply greetings or little wishes like “May they be happy”. It’s in our culture to use both our native language and Russian while communicating, so although most of their posts are in Russian, they’ve added a little of our native language at the end of the posts in meanings like “Well good luck to the newly wed” etc.

Anyhow one thing that came to my mind that I wanted to ask you guys about is, if our native language is written with Russian letters (Cyrillic) can we still ask our Russian translator to transliterate it to English? Like for instance “бема” will be transliterated into English as “bema” but obviously it doesn’t mean anything in English because it was transliterated. At least that way these couple of phrases are going to be put in English letters which maybe could lover the chances of officers rejecting our application and returning it back to us.

Please kindly advice! Thank you very much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there!

Please kindly help in this issue that we run into lately while completing our application for Outland Spousal sponsorship!

My husband and I both are from the same small region within Russia. In our conversations in WhatsApp we used mainly Russian and English so there was no problem finding a certified translator to translate it all. However we are also attaching some posts on Instagram by our friends and community that shared our wedding with their followers, praised our wedding and wished us wishes (they all included pictures of us from the wedding) . We decided to use these posts as part of our proof of relationship. The only issue is although these posts are all in Russian, they have maybe 5 to 6 words of our native dialect in each post (all these friends are from the same region we are from and speak that same language). The problem with that native language of ours is that there is LITERALLY (and we checked) NO certified translator that could help us translate these couple of phrases into English. That’s mainly because the region is very small and so is the population. We don’t have many professionals sadly. These couple of word in our native language in those posts are simply greetings or little wishes like “May they be happy”. It’s in our culture to use both our native language and Russian while communicating, so although most of their posts are in Russian, they’ve added a little of our native language at the end of the posts in meanings like “Well good luck to the newly wed” etc.

Anyhow one thing that came to my mind that I wanted to ask you guys about is, if our native language is written with Russian letters (Cyrillic) can we still ask our Russian translator to transliterate it to English? Like for instance “бема” will be transliterated into English as “bema” but obviously it doesn’t mean anything in English because it was transliterated. At least that way these couple of phrases are going to be put in English letters which maybe could lover the chances of officers rejecting our application and returning it back to us.

Please kindly advice! Thank you very much!
These aren't formal documents or chats between you and your spouse, so there is no requirement for these proofs to be formally translated. Just translate it yourselves.

Reactions: Wahedi

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
These aren't formal documents or chats between you and your spouse, so there is no requirement for these proofs to be formally translated. Just translate it yourselves.

Thank you for your reply! Are you sure about this though? Because in the instructions it says “every document supplied that is in foreign language HAS to have a certified translation to either English or French”... This statement confuses me, I will be grateful if you could please advise, thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply! Are you sure about this though? Because in the instructions it says “every document supplied that is in foreign language HAS to have a certified translation to either English or French”... This statement confuses me, I will be grateful if you could please advise, thank you!
That generally only refers to requires official documents, plus the communication proofs as specified by the checklist.