+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translated but not notarized....

marta1234

Jun 30, 2017
Hi all,

We have 2 letters from my husband's parents vouching for our relationship. These letters were originally written in Korean so we had them translated by a certified translator in Ontario. Do we also need to get these letters notarized? Since they are not "official" documents, I thought maybe we wouldn't need them to be notarized. I know the wording clearly states that any translated document must be accompanied by a certified copy of the original... but these are just letters that they wrote and e-mailed to us. Can someone please clarify this? If they do need to be notarized, would his parents need to be the ones to notarize them? Thank you.

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
My wife just got back her COPR. We also applied from Korea. We didn't include a letter from her parents but we included letters from my family and friends which we did not get notarized. So you may be okay not notarizing them.
We did need to send more proof we were returning to Canada though. Proof of funds in Canada, correspondence with real estate agent/mortgage broker, insurance quotes for her first 3 months in Canada etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

We have 2 letters from my husband's parents vouching for our relationship. These letters were originally written in Korean so we had them translated by a certified translator in Ontario. Do we also need to get these letters notarized? Since they are not "official" documents, I thought maybe we wouldn't need them to be notarized. I know the wording clearly states that any translated document must be accompanied by a certified copy of the original... but these are just letters that they wrote and e-mailed to us. Can someone please clarify this? If they do need to be notarized, would his parents need to be the ones to notarize them? Thank you.
Hi

They don't need to be notarized and you didn't actually need to get them formally translated; you could have done it yourselves. Formal translation is only required for official documents such as PCCs, birth certificates, marriage certificates etc.

marta1234

Jun 30, 2017
Hi

They don't need to be notarized and you didn't actually need to get them formally translated; you could have done it yourselves. Formal translation is only required for official documents such as PCCs, birth certificates, marriage certificates etc.
really? it says that all docs not in english must be translated and that they can't be translated by us.

haXudon

May 31, 2015
really? it says that all docs not in english must be translated and that they can't be translated by us.
you don't need to notarize non-official docs. in fact, in other countries like Canada, you can't even go to a public notary and ask them to notarize a text message unless they are used legally like in divorce cases.

with that being said, here is my explanation using logic. what if you and your husband or family talk in a dialect where no official translator exist? how can you notarize such letter/text message then? translating them to English yourself would be enough and would suffice the requirement of the embassy, and that is, so that they can understand what is written there.

but as far as official and legal documents are concerned, you notice that none of them are written in a weird dialect? like for example, in the Philippines, we have about 32 dialects and more than a hundred of rare ones. but all our official documents, like birth certificate are written in either English or Filipino. this is because an official Filipino to English translator exist but not a Labin Agta to English translator.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This refers only to actual required official documents, not to relationship proofs such as family letters.