+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transiting through Canada as a US Green Card Holder With Lapsed Residency Obligation

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
Hi all,

I'm looking at flights to my home country and the cheapest and shortest flight transits through Vancouver.

From the CIC Website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html):

Travelers who are exempt from the eTA requirement.
  • U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
  • Lawful permanent residents of the United States who hold valid status in the U.S. are exempt from the eTA requirement.
    • They must carry official proof of status (or an equivalent status document) and a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent travel document).
    • See the complete list of documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S.
This looks like this is a new exemption. In the past, I could have sworn US PRs needed an ETA. This new change is a positive for me as I can now transit through Canada.

However, the transit time is pretty tight (1h 15m). Since I'm technically still a Canadian PR, I'm probably going to be reported due to my lapsed RO. My main concern is that being reported will take some time causing me to miss my connecting flight. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how much time does getting reported add to the whole travel process?