+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit Visa

brighthope

Sep 26, 2013
Greetings to all,

My questions are about transit visas. My husband is a citizen of Afghanistan. We want to travel to the Caribbean next year. We are looking into his transiting Canada on the way down to the islands. He cannot get a transit visa in the US because they are afraid he will claim refugee/asylum if he reaches US soil, so hopefully our friendly Northern neighbor is not so strict.

1. Since he is Afghan, will there be any difficulties in him gaining a transit visa? What does he need to show to prove his intent is only to catch another plane at the airport? He will not leave the airport and he will not attempt to claim asylum.
2. On the cic website it says applicants may use a representative to file for them, etc. Is it possible for me, as an American citizen and his legal spouse, to do so for him?

I think that is it for now. Any advice or direction pointing is most appreciated. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately you'll likely face the same challenges with Canada as the US. By all means try applying. However similar to the US, the chances of refusal are high based on his country of origin. Make sure you provide as much information as you can that demonstrates he is truly a transit passenger. Also show that he has strong ties to his home country (proof of employment, proof of property ownership, proof of other assets held). Good luck.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
Unfortunately you'll likely face the same challenges with Canada as the US. By all means try applying. However similar to the US, the chances of refusal are high based on his country of origin. Make sure you provide as much information as you can that demonstrates he is truly a transit passenger. Also show that he has strong ties to his home country (proof of employment, proof of property ownership, proof of other assets held). Good luck.
1. Also as of 11/12/13 the OP's spouse will have to attend a Visa Application Centre, for Photographs and fingerprints as well.