+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit visa required or not

recron

Jun 23, 2012
Hi!

I need to board flight from New Delhi with stop over at London...Where I need to change planes... Will I need a transit visa. I am geting confused coz I am geting mixed response... Some one pls help....

new_2_canada

Apr 25, 2011
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
from what I have read on UK Visa site, if you have Canada PR then you may not need the Transit Visa for London.

Link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/#

in this link click on the ****'Transit without visa' concession - DATV exemptions Close**** under more information and you will see if you have a Canada Visa, you do not need the transit visa if you are not leaving the airport.

jaggy999

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2013
recron said:
Hi!

I need to board flight from New Delhi with stop over at London...Where I need to change planes... Will I need a transit visa. I am geting confused coz I am geting mixed response... Some one pls help....
In one word......my answer is NO.

I'm 500% sure, u don't need a transit visa
:)

jaggy999

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2013
recron said:
Thanks a lot... did u travel without the need of a transit visa...
nope I haven't travel abroad myself........but have many relatives who travel without transit visa when stopover is London Heathrow. :)

new_2_canada

Apr 25, 2011
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
recron said:
Thanks a lot... did u travel without the need of a transit visa...
The information and the link provided in my previous post is the official site for the UK Border Agency, and it clearly says:

'Transit without visa' concession - DATV exemptions Close

If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this exemption:

you must arrive and depart by air; and
your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and
you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa if necessary.

Additionally, you must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries; or
2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for that country; or
3) a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998; or
4) an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship; or
5) a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002; or
6) a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa; or
7) a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
8 ) a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002; or
9) a valid UK residence card; or
10) a valid EEA family permit issued by the UK government; or
11) a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People's Republic of China; or
12) a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
13) a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

A valid US immigrant visa packet (form 155A/155B) is a 'valid visa' for these purposes, but the following documents are not valid for the DATV exemption:

an I-512 parole letter or an I-797C (notice of action) instead of a valid US visa.
a transportation letter instead of a valid US permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998;
a valid travel document with a US 'ADIT' stamp saying - 'Processed for I-551. TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL [date]. EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED'; and
a US visa foil endorsed, "NOT A VISA. FOIL PREPARED AT DHS REQUEST".

If you are a national of a DATV country and you hold a non-national (including refugee) travel document, you will need to get a DATV to transit the UK airside unless you qualify for one of the exemptions listed above.

recron

Jun 23, 2012

Hi There,

I am sure there are a lot of seniors who have actually travelled to Canada who read this blog.

Request to put light on this topic please.

Will be extremely thankful.

TC.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have a valid ticket and visa to North America (Canada or US) you do not need transit visa for Heathrow. You will not be permitted outside the international lounge though. I have traveled via London 4 times, and never had transit visa. Once you are out of your plane, no one asks passport/visa until you go to a gate that either gets you out to London or into another plane/terminal towards another destination.

So assuming that you have Canada PR, NO, you don't need transit visa for London.

Note: this does not apply for US. US needs transit visa. Always!! (unless you are going to US ofcourse!)

arvind23

Jul 1, 2012
Re: Transit visa required or not entering canada

I am going to book tickets for my family who have PR of Canada. The travel agent says if we cross two european cities then we need transit visa. like from delhi to calgary via vienna and frankfurt, they say one require transit visa..
second alternative would be to have jet airways flight via london which also have 19 hours halt at heathrow.
if the passenger is not going out and staying in one of the lounges, then hope there is no requirement of visa. only thing is that arrival terminal is different than the departure terminal.
please clarify if any one has correct information.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Simple one word answr... NO VISA...

I know there are some people who know nothing about these transit visa come to teach everybody... Just ignore it..

Nobody with a Canadian Immigrant Visa have a need to sneak into UK

cocknbull

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed with all above. Transit visa not required. Many people on the forum have travelled via this route before without a transit visa. Thanks

hiparam14

Star Member
Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
no
AOR Received.
25 Mar 11
IELTS Request
Sent to CIC.
File Transfer...
12 april 11
Passport Req..
28 April 12
VISA ISSUED...
04 July 12
LANDED..........
21 Sept 12
cocknbull said:
Agreed with all above. Transit visa not required. Many people on the forum have travelled via this route before without a transit visa. Thanks
Transit visa in London is not required at all if you have a connecting flight from LHR to Canada.
Its only required if you want to cross the immigration channel in LHR and get out of the airport.
However, you are adviced to confirm with this your Flight.
regards,

cpu0079

Jul 15, 2008
Transit visa is not required if you are traveling from/to Canada/India, holding Indian passport and a valid Canadian PR (or valid Canadian travel visa) with international flight connection in less than 24 hours.

D.Osman

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-March-2009
File Transfer...
?-Dec.2011
Med's Done....
12.Jun.2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23.Aug.2012
VISA ISSUED...
25 Sep.2012
LANDED..........
by the grace of God at 28th Nov.2012
great if no need for uk visa but if some one wanted to stay for few days in UK? or wanted to travel via other countries like Germany or France what about this? plz any one can explian or experienced this?

loggan

Apr 18, 2010
I know a person holding a Canadian PR and has travelled via Frankfurt more than twice without visa. Is a citizen from African country