+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit from London Gatwick as a permanent resident

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Hello,

I found a very good deal to travel from Toronto to Turkey as a Turkish citizen/Canadian permanent resident. But when I check my eligibility on the UK government website, it showed me kind of a confusing result.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/turkey/transit/somewhere_else/yes

It says I will need a transit visa but right after that it also says:
"You may be eligible to transit without a visa if:
you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002"

So what does this mean? Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I found a very good deal to travel from Toronto to Turkey as a Turkish citizen/Canadian permanent resident. But when I check my eligibility on the UK government website, it showed me kind of a confusing result.

you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002"

Thanks.
Do you you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002? If not, that means you need a transit visa.

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Do you you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002? If not, that means you need a transit visa.
Yes, I received my PR on 2018. But it says there I will need a visa and I "may be" transit without visa if I am holding a Canadian PR. Very confusing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I received my PR on 2018. But it says there I will need a visa and I "may be" transit without visa if I am holding a Canadian PR. Very confusing.
Some people do not have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002 but they are still considered to be Canadian PR. Those people might need a transit visa.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hello,

Thanks.
Are you planning to exit the airport in the UK? If no, then transit visas are not required anywhere in the world as far as I know. Regardless of your citizenship or PR card or whatever.

PestoStar

Dec 17, 2021
Are you planning to exit the airport in the UK? If no, then transit visas are not required anywhere in the world as far as I know. Regardless of your citizenship or PR card or whatever.
Unfortunately this is not true. Some countries do not allow transit unless you hold a visa or are visa-exempt (such as the USA and Canada) while other only allow it if you fulfill other conditions (such as the UK, as per the link the OP put).

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Unfortunately this is not true. Some countries do not allow transit unless you hold a visa or are visa-exempt (such as the USA and Canada) while other only allow it if you fulfill other conditions (such as the UK, as per the link the OP put).
This is weird, and I'm confused. It seemed to me that what OP was talking about is one itinerary that will not require the passenger to collect their bags and recheck, etc. So in that case no visa is required, or am I misunderstanding the situation.

I understand they will require a visa if say they are switching airports or if they have two different tickets or booked a self-transfer flight.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
Hello,

Thanks.
How did it go?

Obviosly, if it's on the same ticket and you don't need to go out, you can transit without visa in UK (Canada, USA are exceptions in this regard). However, if you have a separate tickets, or you need to go out of the airport, I believe the problem in this type of situations is convincing the airline that you can transit on your own. It seems they don't care about such nuances, if it says you might need a visa, they just won't let you on the plane.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
For anyone who stumbles on this thread. If you hold a valid VISA for Canada or USA, you DO NOT need a transit VISA in UK. As long as you are doing Air-Side transit. i.e. your connecting flight is on the same ticket, so you do not have to cross immigration to collect your luggage. I have been transiting at Heathrow since 2015.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
For anyone who stumbles on this thread. If you hold a valid VISA for Canada or USA, you DO NOT need a transit VISA in UK. As long as you are doing Air-Side transit. i.e. your connecting flight is on the same ticket, so you do not have to cross immigration to collect your luggage. I have been transiting at Heathrow since 2015.
If it's airside, you don't need a visa for Canada or USA, you can easily transit. We are talking about crossing the immigration.

Last edited: